Looking for opinions on this box design

kidrauhl
10+ year member

Kentucky
hey I go a design from a local guy here, and just wanting to see what everyone thinks of it. I don't have alot of knowledge when it comes to custom boxes so I don't know if this makes sense or not.

The box is for 2 SA 12's and its going in the trunk of a dodge neon, so space is limited. I wanted to do the sub firing back because with my past setups, they have been noticeably louder than firing towards the front of the car. He suggested firing the sub back and port forward, I haven't seen many setups like that so I'm not sure if its a good idea or not.

I wanted to do two separate boxes, because I figured it would be easier to get them in the trunk as the trunk opening is more of a limiting factor than the trunk itself. he came up with a box size of14x14x23.5 tuned to 34hz.

these are pics of the design he sent:

noname.jpg

noname1.jpg

Needs bracing and 45s
I can do that as I will be building it, he's just doing the design and telling me what cuts to make. Other than that does it look ok, like I said I wasn't sure cause I've never seen a setup like the with the port firing out of the back of the box.

btw your location is my favorite time of the day lol

I would fire the SUB & PORT toward the rear....I don't think you are going to like the response you're going to get by firing the sub back and the port forward......

I would fire the SUB & PORT toward the rear....I don't think you are going to like the response you're going to get by firing the sub back and the port forward......
What about firing the sub back and the port to the side? or would port and sub both firing to the back be better?

The only reason I ask is trunk opening isn't very wide and it would have to be at least 3 to 4 inches wider with the port towards the back too

Port to the side will work way better than towards the front....
agree. sound gets a little messy when the front and back waves are that far apart.. dont forget to figure in the displacement from bracing and if you do 45's..

Yea, I'm not a fan of that design in your car. The response would not be as desired.

There is enough room to do 2 12's ported back there with a normal enclosure. Not sure why the need for split enclosures or odd designs. You could do sub up port the side, sub forward port the side..sub/port forward...sub/port back

double baffle will be needed...and not flush mounted..you need it for support. 3ft3 is a bit on the small side, but will work. Just make sure your port area and length work correctly with the driver and design.

If you side fire it, do not fire it right into a surface chocking off the port..that will hurt out put drastically.

double baffle will be needed...and not flush mounted..you need it for support. 3ft3 is a bit on the small side, but will work. Just make sure your port area and length work correctly with the driver and design.
If you side fire it, do not fire it right into a surface chocking off the port..that will hurt out put drastically.
Ok thanks for the advice, I will do a double baffle for sure. I'm building it he just did the design. is 36hz low enough for the tuning? what would have to be done do get it lower, I have no clue when it comes to the tuning part.

why not do sub up port back..ive had mine like that and it sounded the best, im just not a fan of the side port idk why just looks like wont be as loud...my 2 cents

---------- Post added at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 PM ----------

and tune it to 32-34

why not do sub up port back..ive had mine like that and it sounded the best, im just not a fan of the side port idk why just looks like wont be as loud...my 2 cents 

---------- Post added at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 PM ----------

and tune it to 32-34
I had my 15 like that and it sounded horrible, just because the trunk rattled so bad. that's why I didn't wanna do sub up even though it be the easiest.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.