looking for older alpine units... but which one???!!

Participant count
  • Participant list

asaner85
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Chicago
Hello,

So im looking for a good HU to replace the JVC arsenal that I currently have. I need the unit to have fine tuning options and ipod capability. I previously owned an eclipse cd7200mkII(which I loved, except for the cheap button feel) The eclipse's screen took a crap on me so I had to replace it with the JVC. Before that I had an Alpine CDA-7998. I also loved this unit. I owned two but they both eventually developed a CD skipping problem. Leaning more towards another alpine because of the great sound they offer. Ive been away from CA for awhile now so I kinda lost track of what HU's are hot and whats not.

So far I have researched but very dissapointed at the newer high end alpines(cda-117) You need to purchase the imprint in order to get the X-overs, TA, etc. I also checked out the CDA-9887 I love the features but heard the biolite is not what is used to be. So im leaning towards more the CDA-9835 or the CDA-9855. Has anybody owned either unit?

This is a list of features I want on the HU.

-selectable button color

-tons of tuning(SQ)

-ipod capability

-nice screen (graphics) I love the spectrum analyzer feature

Thank You all!

Something to consider with your other headunits would be to try and track down one of the PXA-C700. It was great for X-over, TA, and plenty of tuning options. As far as headunits go, I unfortunately haven't owned either one, but I know for a while I was looking at the 9835. It was a well put together headunit and was pretty easy to work with.

I love my 9855. I bought it brand new in 2005. I don't plan on ever getting rid of it. It's got Bass Engine Pro which gives you 6 channel digital TA, 6 position digital crossover (2 way or 3 way), and a 5 band PEQ or 7 band GEQ depending on how you set it. It's also got an external DC/DC converter. I love the sound quality from it. One of my buddies has a 9835 and it's essentially the same thing but with no GlideTouch and it has the V-Drive hybrid amp instead of the standard 18 WRMS X 4 Alpine still uses today. If you're going to use an external amp, the V-Drive doesn't make any difference and I like the GlideTouch. It makes it super easy to navigate the menus.

I also just noticed you want iPod capabilities. I've got a KCA-420i I'll sell you if you get either the 9835 or 9855. It'll work with either one to let you control the iPod directly from the HU. I'll give you a good deal if you want it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.