Looking for low cost 4 channel amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

fantomas
10+ year member

show her the oh face
CT
So, I'm looking for a low cost 4 channel amp. I've been out of the car audio loop for almost a decade so I don't really know if there's been any technological advances since then and what brands I should be looking at or avoiding.

So anyways, the vehicle it's going in is a 1995 Jeep Wrangler. Interior is currently stripped out so I can throw some bedliner in the tub. While everything is out, I figure it's a good time to upgrade the audio and rewire everything (For example, if I hit a bump sometimes the driver's channel cuts out completely). It currently has 4x6's (unknown brand at this time) in the dash and 4" Radiocrap speakers in the sound bar overhead. I'd love to be able to actually hear some tunes while driving down the highway with the top off, 33" mudders, and a loud exhaust.

So, for speakers I'm eyeing these Polk DB461s (40 watts RMS) for the dash and possible these 6.5" Polk DB651s (60 Watts RMS), these 6x9" Polk DB691s (100 watts RMS) or these 5.25" Polk DB521s (45 watts RMS). I need to pull down the sound bar and look to see what I can fit in it (or build a custom sound bar, which I have no hesitation doing, just time consuming). The 5.25" shouldn't be TOO much of a hassle, but the 6x9's will probably require a ton more work.

So what do you recommend I look at for amps? Low cost is key here. Jeep wranglers with soft tops are the absolute easiest thing to break into. I don't want to be out $100's if it goes missing on me. Back in the day I had a US Acoustics USX-4065 and loved it. It was an exceptional value back then. There's one floating around on Ebay right now but I'm hesitant to buy electronics that could be over a decade old (if it was a bit cheaper I'd pull the trigger). Internals get old. Another thing is the SQ does NOT have to be exceptional. At highway speeds a slight distortion won't kill me. Crackling might, and I don't need something that will burn up and die on me. Water resistance would be a plus in case I get caught in a down pour, but I'll be installing it underneath the rear seat.

DB Drive A1 50.4 lol i got in a trade from a buddy of mine...

Its yours for 60 shipped? it doesnt have great specs but puts out great sound for its sz...

Like brand new out the box, he had it in his truck maybe 3 days

Are you recommending DB Drive? Or are you recommending it because you're trying to offload one? I'm not trying to make this a "want to buy" thread. Just looking at my options.... A warranty wouldn't be a bad idea either...

These vehicles are horrid for good clear sound while driving. That said, you can get a very good amplifier for not a lot of money. I recently installed the Clarion XC1410 into a Wrangler behind the radio in the dash. It's rated for 50W x 4 @ 4 ohms and 85W x 4 at 2 ohms. We sell them or you can also get it from Crutchfield. It isn't a marine amplifier, but it will be well protected under the dash cover.

These vehicles are horrid for good clear sound while driving. That said, you can get a very good amplifier for not a lot of money. I recently installed the Clarion XC1410 into a Wrangler behind the radio in the dash. It's rated for 50W x 4 @ 4 ohms and 85W x 4 at 2 ohms. We sell them or you can also get it from Crutchfield. It isn't a marine amplifier, but it will be well protected under the dash cover.
****, that thing is tiny! I could hide that thing anywhere! But it makes me wonder if the previous owner had something like this installed in the dash...

What speakers did you install with the amp? Also how much are you getting for them? (I only posted the links to crutchfield because the info on their product pages far exceeds any other website)

I know I'm moving the goal posts here, but I'm considering the Precision Power i640.5. I'd like to add a small sub while conserving space. There just aren't many reviews on it. It also appears I can get away with just using an 8 gauge cable... although I'm not having any luck finding an owners manual for this specific model. But any ways, with the size of this amp, I may be able to fit it under the passenger seat, and could definitely fit it under the rear bench seat. Any reason I shouldn't go with this specific 5 channel amp? (I know two amps are better than one, but space is a concern)

I know I'm moving the goal posts here, but I'm considering the Precision Power i640.5. I'd like to add a small sub while conserving space. There just aren't many reviews on it. It also appears I can get away with just using an 8 gauge cable... although I'm not having any luck finding an owners manual for this specific model. But any ways, with the size of this amp, I may be able to fit it under the passenger seat, and could definitely fit it under the rear bench seat. Any reason I shouldn't go with this specific 5 channel amp? (I know two amps are better than one, but space is a concern)
With anything bigger than a 2-channel or small mono amplifier you're better off putting the amplifier under the rear seat. I was able to fit the i450.1 under the driver's seat, but the i640.5 will definitely stick out pretty far on the back side. I recommend 8 AWG OFC power wire or you could get by with 4 AWG CCA wire.

My test: Precision Power iON 520.4

here's an official clamp on the Ion 520.4

if its anything like it's 4 channel counterpart, the I 640.5 would put out just as well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.