Looking for a TRUE sound quality sub...

i'm not familiar with the mags...is the d2 designating that it's a 2 ohm dvc? or that it's the second model?
are there any real differences between the old and new model?
D2 means Dual-2 ohm coils, yes.

The really old Mags don't have as much low-end, and the "latest" Mags are pretty much a little better all around.

The brand new Mag in development is totally different in almost every regard as far as motor topology and whatnot vs. the latest one and the older ones.

Upgrade your midbasses.
As soon as you can pinpoint "Hey, there's a sub in here"...something's wrong.
interesting...so i'm NOT supposed to hear the sub? to be honest, i haven't ever heard a set of mids that cover the low end well enough and i'm really not thinking of getting into a set of 3ways.

interesting...so i'm NOT supposed to hear the sub? to be honest, i haven't ever heard a set of mids that cover the low end well enough and i'm really not thinking of getting into a set of 3ways.
You aren't supposed to hear it apart from the rest of the music, if you do, it's too loud to be called "true SQ" for accuracy.

If you LIKE the sub loud, thats different, go for what you like and be happy with it.

interesting...so i'm NOT supposed to hear the sub?
The point of a sub here is to fill in the bottom octave as unobtrusively as possible. Ideally you shouldn't be able to locate it, if you can tell there's something coming from behind you that's definitely not good.

I've heard 5.25" midbasses cover subbass so well that you'd swear there was an 8" or 10" sub hidden somewhere, it's all about the install //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

The point of a sub here is to fill in the bottom octave as unobtrusively as possible. Ideally you shouldn't be able to locate it, if you can tell there's something coming from behind you that's definitely not good.
I've heard 5.25" midbasses cover subbass so well that you'd swear there was an 8" or 10" sub hidden somewhere, it's all about the install //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
bah...so i guess i should really work on my deadening and imaging, huh?

bah...so i guess i should really work on my deadening and imaging, huh?
If you were going to put time into building something to sound good, yeah, those would be two I'd spend a lot of time with //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

If you were going to put time into building something to sound good, yeah, those would be two I'd spend a lot of time with //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif
but i still probably shouldn't stick with a bl then, huh?

Alot of amazing subs out there right now. My 3 favs right now are probably the JBL GTi (can be found VERY reasonable on ebay, Gary Biggs has dominated SQ championships with them for years), the CSS SDX15 (very similar to the old and awesome Adire Brahma)... oh and the Mag already mentioned here.

Its not that you shouldn't 'hear' the subwoofer, its that its location should not be obvious. If you can tell where its coming from, something is wrong.

D2 means Dual-2 ohm coils, yes.
The really old Mags don't have as much low-end, and the "latest" Mags are pretty much a little better all around.

The brand new Mag in development is totally different in almost every regard as far as motor topology and whatnot vs. the latest one and the older ones.
The new Mag's are also going to weigh about 1/2 what the current Mag's weigh. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif But if you can't wait, the last generation is the best generation Mag so far (which is the way it should be - whenever I learn things to put into my speakers I pass that knowledge/technology onto you the customer).

Ah yes, I'll get it to you tonight. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Sorry about that, but it's been a busy weekend - I got the Civic up and running and completely wired electrically.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.