looking for a series of sq amps

Participant count
  • Participant list

chefzane

Senior VIP Member
I am wanting a matching set of amps that will be used for entry level sq competitions as this will be my first time competing. I want them to match so the install is clean so I need a series of amps from a single company. The sizes are as follows

500x2@2ohms

250x2@2ohms

100x4@4+50x2@8 or Leviathan 3 equivalent

These are rms approx and can vary a tiny bit not much

Any suggestions welcome, only want new for the warranty

I've heard of having some extra "headroom", but that's a little too much! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif lol

You could run 1 amp for your subs, and run a 2nd amp for your highs to keep it clean and simple.

Use a 4 channel amp. Use 2 channels for your tweeters, 2 channels for your mids. If you want to run rear fill, you can feed off of your mids and run passive crossovers to bandpass your rear fill. 300-3000hz or so. Or just use the Leviathan III like you mentioned. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

If you need time alignment, etc....use a 6 channel for your highs and a processor or head unit with T/A. Less connections and less chance of EMI/RF noise.

The 500 is for the two cvr's for , bigger is fine as the substage is going to 2 12" DC level 4, so anywhere from 1000 RMS to 2500 RMS, can be mono or two channel, this will be used for sq and when I want SPL I can open up the cover on the box and up the levels on the amp

I have two 8"sub's that can take 175 RMS but I want the amp rated higher so no chance of it getting hot, so 200-250 RMS x2 but can be mono also

I want a Leviathan for the other three stages but want and can afford are two different things, for two CDT or PHD 6.5 midrange, 3" high mid, can't decide on this one, and vifa tweets

I've heard of having some extra "headroom", but that's a little too much! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif lolYou could run 1 amp for your subs, and run a 2nd amp for your highs to keep it clean and simple.

Use a 4 channel amp. Use 2 channels for your tweeters, 2 channels for your mids. If you want to run rear fill, you can feed off of your mids and run passive crossovers to bandpass your rear fill. 300-3000hz or so. Or just use the Leviathan III like you mentioned. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

If you need time alignment, etc....use a 6 channel for your highs and a processor or head unit with T/A. Less connections and less chance of EMI/RF noise.
Check my build log stuff I am running a four way front stage plus 12" sub's for more boom when needed

And how am I confused and if so then teach don't just say I think u need to hear others

Where am I wrong, I have done my reading and my research and the setup I will have will be good quality items with proper install and crossed at right points it will be great stage height and width and clarity

And how am I confused and if so then teach don't just say I think u need to hear others
Where am I wrong, I have done my reading and my research and the setup I will have will be good quality items with proper install and crossed at right points it will be great stage height and width and clarity
If you listen to real SQ cars you will get it. Most only run a simple 3 way that's staged, imaged, and processed. It's about the illusion of up front bass and keeping the focus on the hood of the car dead center. I'm not saying you have to run the best equipment but it helps. Time alignment and a big EQ is a must.

If you listen to real SQ cars you will get it. Most only run a simple 3 way that's staged, imaged, and processed. It's about the illusion of up front bass and keeping the focus on the hood of the car dead center. I'm not saying you have to run the best equipment but it helps. Time alignment and a big EQ is a must.
I have an alpine cda-9887 coming that has good features and good initial sound quality, then to a mini-dsp that's got time alignment and xover points and eq from hell, the only thing the ms8 has better is the auto adjustment stuff and less adjustability actually, if not the DSP then the alpine PXA-H701 and RUX-C701, also going to use a .5 or 1 farad cap right before each amp as a bypass capacitor to shunt any AC noise possible

I also am aware of how the sq stuff is judged and know about front bass that's why the 8's will be in the doors up front for the bass to be as upfront as possible with the twelves handling the bass that's low from the rear and they are mounted cabin side and the trunk is sealed from the cabin, as it sits now the bass is very upfront anyway due to this

I just don't know what amps sound the best, I could even do two 4 channel amps one that's 200x4@4 ohms and one that's like 100x4@4 ohms and a mono or two channel that's 2500 that I can run low for now for the cvrs and when I get the dc's I can just buy another 2500 and strap them and run them a little less than full tilt to help longevity and heat

There is a point where overlap of the speaker's natural curves and a little bit of EQ cutting can do wonders for the sound. There is a such thing as "overkill" when it comes to amount of speakers, processing, electronics. I have been inside of some cars with a high end 2-way or 3-way setup that sounds better than cars with 2 or 3 sets of components.

If the car is being analyzed on a distortion analyzer for a perfectly flat response, that is one thing (reproduction). If it is being tested by human ears, it will probably be designed and tuned very differently.

Kickers are going, so are the AP's when I find replacements that I like these don't sound bad actually, say what you want don't care on these,

The DC's will be fine for all that they will be doing, if you got a better suggestion say it not just rag on mine, I haven't had anyone else knock them as a selection yet, and when I want to make them pound it only takes a couple adjustments and a five minute box tweak for some more SPL

Kickers are going, so are the AP's when I find replacements that I like these don't sound bad actually, say what you want don't care on these,
The DC's will be fine for all that they will be doing, if you got a better suggestion say it not just rag on mine, I haven't had anyone else knock them as a selection yet, and when I want to make them pound it only takes a couple adjustments and a five minute box tweak for some more SPL

Not trying to rag on you, but I'd do a little more research before finalizing everything. It's better to spend more time planning if it makes the end result better. Look around some of the SQ cars at some shows and talk to their owners and get some tips. Remember that the install is the most important part - you can't just mount everything wherever you want and expect it to sound good just because you bought good equipment.

There is a point where overlap of the speaker's natural curves and a little bit of EQ cutting can do wonders for the sound. There is a such thing as "overkill" when it comes to amount of speakers, processing, electronics. I have been inside of some cars with a high end 2-way or 3-way setup that sounds better than cars with 2 or 3 sets of components.
If the car is being analyzed on a distortion analyzer for a perfectly flat response, that is one thing (reproduction). If it is being tested by human ears, it will probably be designed and tuned very differently.
True on tuning and xover points that's why the DSP and having presets for the diff types of judging and its only two of each speaker x4 types =8 total, the only reason I'm running threes is for stage height as my car is pretty oddly shaped and I want a good height

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.