Looking for a new HU

Participant count
  • Participant list

astupidiot

Hey all. I'm new to the site so please go easy on me. I'm looking for a new head unit with a few key features: Bluetooth, HD radio, touch screen, iphone 5 (ios7) capable. I would prefer a double din size just because it seems the fold outs have too many moving parts and my truck rides pretty rough. I would like to keep it low on price. The one I've been looking at the most is the Pioneer AVH-X3600BHS which I can get for under $300 but everything I've read also says I need to spend another $100 in optional cords for my phone to work. And as long as we are on the subject of optional I was looking at Crutchfield and they want to sell me a bunch of extra harnesses and other stuff. I'm just wondering how much of that stuff I really need. I have a 2005 GMC Sierra and they're telling me I need to get a Metra VT-GMRC-01 Factory Integration Adapter to have warning chimes (which I wouldn't really miss). They also say I need a Metra 40-GM10 Antenna Adapter and a American International GMK-422 In-dash Receiver Kit. How much of this stuff do I really need?

Sorry for the wall of text and thanks in advance for any help.

Yeah, I really like the HD content that's available where I live and also enjoy the touchscreen in my wife's new car. So I figure if I'm going to a new HU in, I may as well get one with everything I want in it. The Pioneer I mentioned seems to fit the bill nicely, BUT I haven't bought anything yet and am always open to suggestions, advice, and warnings.

Based on my experience, steer far, far away from JVC. Your mileage may vary, but the one I had was a lemon from the start (kw-hdr81bt). It didn't have the touch screen, but it was a double-DIN with HD and BT (I'm like you, I have to have HD).

I own the Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS and love it to death. It does have a motorized 7" screen but only to put in CD's and DVD's really with USB and Iphone capability you don't need those anymore unless you watch movies so you won't use it much. I got mine from Crutchfield open box for $330. I also purchased the antenna adaptor, and dash kit from them abnd yes you need both. You don't really really need the integration kits but some cars run the passlock anti theft system thru them. I got a PAC unit from ebay for $62 for my 2001 olds alero.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.