looking for a head unit

Zach85
10+ year member

I want the following of a head unit, can anyone suggest any good units that meets them?

- CD/MP3, DVD not necessary

- at least one RCA Aux input

- at least two RCA outputs

- Motorized Hide-away faceplate (flips 180 degrees when car turns off)

- detachable faceplate

- single DIN

- at least 180 watts (45x4)

- Budget: $150 right now, will increase in the next month or so.

If you have any of the following for sale, that'd be great if you could send me a price. Otherwise just send me suggestions for head units to look at and consider. I don't care of brand, as long as it isn't a crappy brand.

Thanks in advance!

- Motorized Hide-away faceplate (flips 180 degrees when car turns off)

- detachable faceplate

i dont think ive seen a HU that is both motorized hide away and removable..

- Motorized Hide-away faceplate (flips 180 degrees when car turns off)- detachable faceplate

i dont think ive seen a HU that is both motorized hide away and removable..
I have one now that is both. When it is turned on you can detach the faceplate. I'm just looking for something new now.

Either way the hide=away is more preferred than detachable if you know of any.

I think you want to try D-MASK* as a keyword search. I think all those Kenwood head units have hideaway faceplates that were also removable. The one I have died.

The alpine cda-7897 had a hideaway faceplate branded FantomFace XL (not detachable) and an internal amp, but I think that one typically goes for above your target price. JVC used to brand the feature "El Kameleon", don't know much more than that. Might have been one or two more manufacturers but I can't recall right now.

Other than that, I think the hideaway face plate mostly left the market about 4 years ago or so. Too bad, it was a feature I liked.

I think you want to try D-MASK* as a keyword search. I think all those Kenwood head units have hideaway faceplates that were also removable. The one I have died.
The alpine cda-7897 had a hideaway faceplate branded FantomFace XL (not detachable) and an internal amp, but I think that one typically goes for above your target price. JVC used to brand the feature "El Kameleon", don't know much more than that. Might have been one or two more manufacturers but I can't recall right now.

Other than that, I think the hideaway face plate mostly left the market about 4 years ago or so. Too bad, it was a feature I liked.
Had an "El Kameleon" at one point, but it doesn't play MP3 cds. Not that it matters to me now that i got an MP3 player. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check out the Alpine that you suggested.

and... Yes, I liked the hideaway feature as well. When searching, couldn't really find any newer headunits that had a motorized hide-away feature. *****... it was great. Guess I'll have to settle for something less than hide-away.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.