Looking for a good recone

Participant count
  • Participant list

Greg B

CarAudio.com Recruit
So I was picking up a power wheels for the kids and disaster struck. The battery came out and landed square on my cone while making a turn. It still plays but has a buzz that’s getting worse. The sub is a 12” ssa demon. I contacted them and they’re out of stock. Apparently psi is over booked. I haven’t seen anything model specific but just looking around prices are all over the place. I’m wondering where to start and if it’ll be worth it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

How much would SSA charge for the parts if they had any in stock? If I were going to guess I'd bet the parts are half the cost of a whole new sub. May be worth the fix if you could get an OEM drop in kit, may or may not be worth the effort if you have to try to guess what coil will fit and shop out parts from a third party.

How much would SSA charge for the parts if they had any in stock? If I were going to guess I'd bet the parts are half the cost of a whole new sub. May be worth the fix if you could get an OEM drop in kit, may or may not be worth the effort if you have to try to guess what coil will fit and shop out parts from a third party.
Based on what their other drop ins cost I’d guess $100-150 and the sub was only 155. I’ve been looking around for a new one but it really bugs me to let a month old sub to go to waste.
The 3 options I’m looking at are: putting my old one back in and shopping out parts to learn the process, getting a new one and hanging onto it for a future rebuild, or going a different way like 2 10’s
What are reputable parts suppliers?

Based on what their other drop ins cost I’d guess $100-150
Which would be pretty outrageous considering actual cost of parts for them is probably no more than 40$ for a 2.5" coil sub, I'd guess 70-80 would be more realistic, but still spendy if you don't know what you're doing and risk hosing the parts trying to rebuild it yourself.

Lord of Bass seems to have the largest stock of parts these days. Springfield Speaker Repair has a lot of stuff as well but their office is not open due to COVID so you won't be able to get any help finding a coil to fit. You will need to use some calipers to take precise dimensions of your coil, that's the really important bit to match 100%.

Lord of bass is a definite possibility. My micrometers are at work and I don’t know if I should tear it down before making a final decision but guessing at what I need it should only be $50-60. I’m willing to take a chance for that much. Hopefully they can give me some guidance. I have no idea how changing all the soft parts would affect the ts parameters

I have no idea how changing all the soft parts would affect the ts parameters
Possibly significantly. If you can get an identical coil you should be able to get close enough that you won't notice any audible difference using it in the same box but you would not want to run it with a factory sub in the same airspace.

If the sub is broken you're not really losing anything cutting out the softparts. Do put some masking tape over the gap to keep any debris from falling in there until you rebuild it though.

I swapped out for my old sub and it’s not exactly the same but I’m getting some buzzing and/or weak output on certain tones. I also played it for a minute free air when I took it out and didn’t see any problems. I’m wondering if the box got damaged not the sub. I was planning on building a new one anyways so maybe I’ll do that first and see if it fixes the problem.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Greg B

CarAudio.com Recruit
Greg B
Maryland
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from