Looking for a good affordable car stereo receiver.

I'm not currently in the market for a receiver, but I would probably go with a recognized brand in the $250 range, with a good warranty. I would be tempted to try one of the low-priced Chinese radios with all the advertised features. Amazon sellers also have good return policies. I will go on YouTube to see if there are any reviews on the low-priced stereos. Good luck.

Problem is though those Chinese Android units seem to have a lot of issues. Sometimes they work but seems like most of the time they don't. If I were to ever go to a route like that I would look at the Stinger setup they have out.

Also check sonicelectronix. They do everything crutchfield does when selling a head unit. Free harness, free mounting kit and so on. And shipping is really fast and returns are easy as well. Plus the last couple times I got stuff from there they were cheaper in the end then crutchfield was on the same head unit by the time any taxes and shipping were added.

For $75 dollars you are not going to get anything decent. Not too mention the time you add in buying a wiring harness and mounting kit. At least with sonic or crutchfield you will get that included for free. Look to spend at least $125-150 for a Kenwood/JVC, Sony or Alpine. Try to also get something with at least 4v rca's and with 6 channel rca setup so in case you add in a 4 channel amplifier or subwoofer amplifier down the line. Also take a look at DIYMA for some used head units. Some come up there now and then with really good prices.

What year vehicle, model and trim would help as well for suggestions. Some head units may not fit.

Last edited:
Can anyone advise on a good receiver for a car. I'd like it to have some decent wattage. CD is a plus as well as Blu tooth etc. I saw a few on Amazon and was interested in a few. I'd like to grab one under $75.
You might be better going with a used hu at that price...I see some good jvc and kenwoods around that price pretty often on fb marketplace...Ebay might be worth a look too

Last edited:
I'm not currently in the market for a receiver, but I would probably go with a recognized brand in the $250 range, with a good warranty. I would be tempted to try one of the low-priced Chinese radios with all the advertised features. Amazon sellers also have good return policies. I will go on YouTube to see if there are any reviews on the low-priced stereos. Good luck.
$250 is out of my ballpark. I'm looking at around $75.

Problem is though those Chinese Android units seem to have a lot of issues. Sometimes they work but seems like most of the time they don't. If I were to ever go to a route like that I would look at the Stinger setup they have out.

Also check sonicelectronix. They do everything crutchfield does when selling a head unit. Free harness, free mounting kit and so on. And shipping is really fast and returns are easy as well. Plus the last couple times I got stuff from there they were cheaper in the end then crutchfield was on the same head unit by the time any taxes and shipping were added.

For $75 dollars you are not going to get anything decent. Not too mention the time you add in buying a wiring harness and mounting kit. At least with sonic or crutchfield you will get that included for free. Look to spend at least $125-150 for a Kenwood/JVC, Sony or Alpine. Try to also get something with at least 4v rca's and with 6 channel rca setup so in case you add in a 4 channel amplifier or subwoofer amplifier down the line. Also take a look at DIYMA for some used head units. Some come up there now and then with really good prices.

What year vehicle, model and trim would help as well for suggestions. Some head units may not fit.
It's going on my boat.

Then you should be looking for a marine unit. I grew up on a river and was into boating for 26+ years and did systems in them. Along with going through OMC, Yamaha, Mercury, Volvo and other tech training as I was a service manager at a marina in Florida on the gulf coast.

If you go non-marine head unit make sure that it has a cover that comes down to protect the unit. Some boats came with those built into the dash some did not. And seal up the back of the unit as well. And use marine certified amplifiers. One splash of water and you are done unless it has that certification. Trust me on this seen it a few times with boats.

Also you really need to up your budget to 125-150 at least. You won't find a decent head unit at 75 dollars new. Used possibly as we said, DIYMA, eBay and facebook marketplace

Last edited:
You might be better going with a used hu at that price...I see some good jvc and kenwoods around that price pretty often on fb marketplace...Ebay might be worth a look too
You are so correct man. Thats about the only place I can think of to find an HU at the asking price. Maybe Market Place even from someone needing some quick cash??

What about a Portable boom Box??

I have a really nice blu tooth speaker guitar practice amp (photo below) that takes 6 AA batteries and it's pretty loud. But I'd like to have a radio as well with BT capabilities.

Further, I have a 128gb usb laptop hard drive that's installed inside of an adapter housing, in which I can play tons of my music. So getting a receiver with USB ports, BT etc etc, opens up a lot of options for me. Especially if I want to charge my cel phone from the head unit on my boat.
Screenshot_20230725_093152_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230725_093207_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I think I'm gonna grab the BOSS or I may get the Pyle Marine radio.

Pyle Marine Bluetooth Stereo Radio - 12v Single DIN Style Boat In dash Radio Receiver System with Built-in Mic, Digital LCD, RCA, MP3, USB, SD, AM FM Radio - Remote Control - PLMRB29B (Black) Amazon product ASIN B01FFAMDPO
I'd pick the Boss over the two. Take a look at Crutchfield in their open box area, and returned items area. They have great deals on things at times.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...