Looking for a CDT guru

HvNd4Speed
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
So Cal
hey everyone, cant tell you how many times this forum has been a great resource for stuff i simply cant find information on so thanks to all that contribute.

I have exhausted my resources and i am trying to get this build going in my mini cooper, here is what i need help on from a CDT guru and the amp to run everything, JL Audio HD900/5 100x4 and 500x1

I acquired a set of satnet 456 and satnet 642 crossovers along with a pair of 6.5" CL mids with the red basket and a pair of 6.5" slightly better CDT mids with the flat dustcap and red beefier basket.

OK so first set of questions is about crossovers. Satnet 456 perfect phase xover, is it a good crossover? Should it be in the front stage? Then Satnet 642, is that a crossover or is it a different thing where it was to be used in a 3 way setup. It has a pretty simple setup, input, woofer and tweeter. That's it. I have seen something called a SUBnet 642 instead of the Satnet 642 but what i have says Satnet, if its just a xover, can I use that in the rear with the CL mids I have?

Second set of issues, tweeters, I have one pair but 1 tweet is blown. They are the silk .75" i believe although i can't find the exact same tweeter online anywhere, the one I have actually has gray plastic housing around the top of the dome of the tweeter, others I have seen do not.

What tweeters should I get? I dont want to spend a crazy amount of money on tweeters but I need 2 pairs for front and rear. Can I use a metal dome tweeter with those crossovers? I have never used silk, read that all CDT silk tweets are very 'laid back'. Ive always had metal dome tweets, they didn't sound harsh to me but we are all different.

Any help/input is appreciated. This is my first go round with CDT speakers, I am skeptical but willing to try as i dont have $1K+ for a set of nice focals.

I've been involved with CDT Audio for several years. The SatNet crossovers are old and before my time with the brand. Based on what I found online about SatNet 456, they look like the basis for the later model EX-560i crossovers. The components and layout are different, but functionally they are quite similar. I suspect the 456 crossovers were designed to match best with ES-6 6.7" mid-woofers from the ES Gold line and the DRT-26 1" tweeters. They should work well with the woofers you have, plus they will give excellent protection for all CDT tweeters.

SatNet 642 is a 3-way crossover for 6.5" mid-woofers, 4" midrange woofers, and tweeters. It should not be used with only mid-woofers connected as the crossovers will not operate as intended. If you want to do this on the cheap I can help with that. Put the 642 crossovers in a box in storage or sell them on eBay.

if it helps you I have a pair CDT drt 26 silk tweets for sale

and i have 1 pair of ex560 I crossovers for sale

they have input from amp

they mid has a switch for 5.25 or 6.5

they have a main tweeter output

they have an image tweeter output

I also have a second set of ex560I as well

I've been involved with CDT Audio for several years. The SatNet crossovers are old and before my time with the brand. Based on what I found online about SatNet 456, they look like the basis for the later model EX-560i crossovers. The components and layout are different, but functionally they are quite similar. I suspect the 456 crossovers were designed to match best with ES-6 6.7" mid-woofers from the ES Gold line and the DRT-26 1" tweeters. They should work well with the woofers you have, plus they will give excellent protection for all CDT tweeters.
SatNet 642 is a 3-way crossover for 6.5" mid-woofers, 4" midrange woofers, and tweeters. It should not be used with only mid-woofers connected as the crossovers will not operate as intended. If you want to do this on the cheap I can help with that. Put the 642 crossovers in a box in storage or sell them on eBay.
from my personal experience, the Satnet 456xovers are junk. They really hold back the mids/tweeters. And that tweeter protection cutoff:verymad:

Had a set and then stepped up to the 560 xovers and they made a huge difference. Ran a nine.2x to my hd-62cf set and the tweets never cut out and the xovers handled the power just fine

from my personal experience, the Satnet 456xovers are junk. They really hold back the mids/tweeters. And that tweeter protection cutoff:verymad:Had a set and then stepped up to the 560 xovers and they made a huge difference. Ran a nine.2x to my hd-62cf set and the tweets never cut out and the xovers handled the power just fine
This is why they aren't made anymore. The really aren't design for much power

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.