Looking for a 15 woofer, high sensitivity....Sealed enclosure 1.5 cu/ft or less ?

BossBeimer
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Bay Area
Got a quote to build this box in my 335i coupe and It needs to be a subwoofer with 1.5 cu/ft or less air space needed in a sealed enclosure. No budget here just looking for a subwoofer that can take a pounding and takes atleast 1400w rms. Any good recommendations ?

Few subs are going to meet both the box requirement and be able to handle that amount of power. You might want to find a sub that can be wired to a higher impedance and reduce the power a bit. Either that or dial down the gain. With that amount of power in a sealed box, my concern would be mechanical, not therrmal power handling. The coil might not smoke but the former might well hit the backplate or the surround and spiders might reach their limit in a sealed box.

You are asking for two incompatible things -- unless you don't want the sub to play at all under 50 Hz //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Small Box w/ good low end = low sensitivity

Hoffman's Iron Law

For 1.5 cubes I'd start looking at 12s

I agree with the 12" recommendation. The Mach 5 IXL SL, Fi Q with high qts option, or Dayton Reference HF will work well in that space.

good low end

good sensitivity

small box

You can only have two.

Thank god the cvx's didnt buy the car then lol....I prefer the clean sound of a Sealed enclosure regardless of the subwoofer. For me its either go with this nice box setup with that much airspace and this fifteen or actually change the custom box and have it fire towards the trunk so that I can install the subwoofer I really want !

I have had an Fi Q 15 in a very small box. ( I still have the box so I will edit with actual space used) sound decent, but if you want low end then I suggest 12s. The Q's got loud and sounded good, but not much on the lowerend. The roll off was steep and quick.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.