Looking for 600w @ 2 or 1 ohm

dan7532
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I will soon purchase an Elemental Designs 13Ov.2 subwoofer. Thier site offers it in dual 4 ohm and dual 2 ohm voice coil configurations. I attached a picture below that shows recommended wattage. I would think 600 watts would be just about right. I think the higher wattage loads apply to the use of a smaller box. Elemental suggests .6 - 1.0 cu. ft. per sub. I plan on 1.0 cu ft, so I probably don't need as much power.

What amplifier would be good for this subwoofer? And what voicecoil configuration and wiring do you suggest?

powerchart.jpg

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Jbl Bp600.1 (600 x 1 @ 2 or 1 ohm)

thats what i was gonna say! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/furious.gif.fc81ca146dbff91fede3ed290dbc4f4c.gif

directed 1100D... will put out 800w@2ohms - you can always turn the gains down and keep the volume lower if your scared. but its always best to buy a bigger amp than needed, and lower the volume- because less distortion- and what if you decide to upgrade?

this is stable at 1100x1@1ohm, so if you decide to buy another one of these, 500w per sub would be perfect.

just a thought.

I do plan on getting an amp that will be a good bet in the long run. I may purchase a second sub later on.

I forgot to mention, cardomain.com has the JBL 1200.1 on sale (refurbished) for $200. Could I get the dual 2ohm VCs, and wire them to 4ohm (is that possible) and then get 600rms. That'd leave room for a second sub later on. I don't know how the features or prices compare to the other amps you advised. I will check back later. Just got home from school and have to go to work. Peace and thanks for the help.

you cant wire 2 dual 2's to 4 ohms.. srry. but i bought one of those BP1200.1's and it works great. like new except for 1 tiny scratch on heatsink. for 1200 rms @ 1 ohm or 2 ohms i'd pay 200$ any day

-- Edit --

just realized you can wire 1 of them to 4 ohms. then if you decide to upgrade with another dual 2 you can run it @ 2 ohms and get max power... duh im retarded lol.

What websites would you guys recommend buying from? Ikesound.com has some good "refurbished" deals. How risky are those? Cardomain.com has some refurbs too. I know etronics is also decent.

I'm also looking at more like 700 or 800 watts now. An eD technician told me I'd be safe with up to 1000watts rms if I set the gains right. I figure 800 will give me some breathing room. I'm just looking for the best deal right now; I don't have a brand preference.

Directed 1100d is the way to go, one of the most stable amps pushing a heavy load a long time. But try and stay away from that refurb crap as much as possible. I've bought a few and EVERY single one has crapped out within a month. I've bought 2 b.n.i.b. (only used one) and it has ran like a champ, also my buddy with 2 solobaric L5's has one that was b.n.i.b. and has literally beat the crap out of that and it has taken EVERY ounce of it.

just my .02

g/l //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.