Looking for 6.5" comp speakers suggestions

Gregulate
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I'm building my setup piece by piece and am now looking to replace my component speakers. The come with my car stock, but I want more. I'd like to get something 100-150.

I'll be running this all with the stock HU, but it has worked so far.

I was looking at some JBL GTOs and I like what I hear from the Audioque 6.5s but they are beyond my price range.

From what I've read, this venture is pointless w/o deadening but that's a different story--might add that later.

I'll be powering the comps with either 50w (4ohm) or 75 (2ohm) with my kenwood kac-608s which brings up another question: should I upgrade this or will this be adequate?

I listen to a lot of bass-heavy music and have a sub already that works well for those lows, but the mids and highs are lacking.

Anyways, any help is appreciated.

Still on the search. I really want to find something that's good to go so I can just install it, but I want decent quality. Is there a way to wire these in a series or parallel to change the impedance of the amp like I did with my sub? That would help widen my search range.

Try Morel Maximos. They have been said to have good sensitivity good highs, and good mid-bass response. If you can afford more, buy Hybrid Audio Imagine speakers. I suspect for both sets, 50watts is just enough to start coming alive, but the results should still be good.

(BTW, I have heard many times "I have a sub woofer, so it's ok if front speakers can't play bass." In general most cars have serious problem in mid-bass area. Subwoofer will not always help. Play some test tones and you'll see that subwoofer response is probably rolling off sharply above 50Hz, even without crossover, while most front speakers start to struggle below 100Hz. On issue here is cabin gain which seems stronger at lower frequencies. The other issue is that extremely few car subwoofers can play midbass cleanly)

Try Morel Maximos. They have been said to have good sensitivity good highs, and good mid-bass response. If you can afford more, buy Hybrid Audio Imagine speakers. I suspect for both sets, 50watts is just enough to start coming alive, but the results should still be good.
Good call on the Morels, I had forgotten to look at those. Know anything about Massive Audio comps?

Last edited by a moderator:
i have the pioneer 6.5 prs comps and they are very adequate for my needs. it worked well with my budget (in college) and eventually hope to try out morels or higher end hertz comps

need opinions!!

i need help making a decision i have a 760 watt two channel pioneer amp originally had it bridged and hooked up to a jl audio 10 in sub. my friend was in need of cash so i bought two twelve in visonik subs in a ported enclosed box i dont know if i should sell the 12s and keep the ten or sell the ten and keep the 12s only real problem with the twelves is the lack of trunk space so i dont know if they are worth keeping or not

any help would be greatly appreciated

I posted on here. I ran into an issue with the install of the speakers:

IMG_0703.JPG

So I need a pair that are shallower to mount and have a smaller cutout dimension.

I've narrowed it down to a few:

Morel Maximo 6 1/2 inch 2 way component system

Massive Audio SK 6 II (SK6II)

Image Dynamics CTX-6.5cs

CL-61A - CDT Audio Classic 6.5" 2-Way Component Speakers

Leaning mostly toward the morels at this point, but am considering the others. Any thoughts?

Considering the mounting depth and bar in the hole, which of the listed options should I go with? I have an amp that can power up to 180wpc.

Thanks.

none of the above unless you wanna build rings to bring the speaker out some .you need a slim mount.the cdt may fit but they are older models hence the lower price ,but still very nice look at these and if you like them send me a pm CL 61 CV i think the mounting depth is less but i can call them to find out

Ok, so another thought. Why not just pick a 6" woofer and separate tweeter from PE and run each one off separate channels on my 4 chan amp? How much harder is this to do than getting a set with an inline xover?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.