Looking for 10" SQ Subs

Participant count
  • Participant list

loknload
10+ year member

This is my first post in a while, but here I am, looking for subs again. I'm looking for a pair of 10's in the SQ realm. They'll be run off of 500 watts at 2 ohms sealed in about .7 cf each. I need a mounting depth under 5 inches and I really don't want to pay over $250 per sub. They're going behind the seat in my 2006 F250 crew cab. The truck is not my daily driver, but does get driven on weekends and a bunch during spring, summer, and fall pulling our 5th wheel around. I listen to mostly rock and heavy metal with some 80's and 90's stuff thrown in. To give an idea, Disturbed is my favorite band.

The last set of subs I had that I really fell in love with were the Elemental Designs 11Kv.2. They did everything I wanted them to do and more. They had good punch and got surprisingly low for running sealed. Unfortunately I had to let them go when I bought my Tundra double cab because they were too deep to fit under the rear seat. So I put a set of JL 10w1's back there and they just never lived up to my expectations after the ED's.

I've mostly been looking at Sundown like the SML or SLD series. I don't know why everyone likes to put the high roll surrounds on subs nowadays. That just means I have to have way more room in front of the sub to keep it from hitting the back of the seat. I also have eyeballed the Sundown SD4 but I'm not spending that much per sub, although, those are probably exactly what I'm looking for.

Anyway, any suggestions?

Lol why do sub companies put high roll surrounds on their subs?

High roll surrounds are pretty much required when you have a high xmax sub. Higher xmax means the capability to get louder.

Sundown sld and sd4 are great subs as are the JL tw3 line and the alpine rs shallows, hertz mps is also good. A $250 sub that will like .7 be high sq and be 5 inch or less likely doesn't exist.

The stereo integrity bm11 is another to look at.

The Alpines above look interesting and they could work. The Polks look like they want 1.0cf each so my enclosure would be undersized. The SSA is too deep (over 5"). I'd love the SI, but again, I'm not spending that on a single sub...kind of the same reason I don't have a pair of the Sundown SD4's on the way.

The question about the high roll surround was kind of tongue in cheek. I know why manufacturers do it, it just isn't pleasing to my eye and it makes it challenging in a behind the seat application. I much rather prefer the HAMR surround of the Alpine or the S surround of the Sundown SD series.

I kind of like what I'm seeing on paper with the Sundown SML series but there really aren't any reviews out there for them. Oh well, the search goes on...

The Alpines above look interesting and they could work. The Polks look like they want 1.0cf each so my enclosure would be undersized. The SSA is too deep (over 5"). I'd love the SI, but again, I'm not spending that on a single sub...kind of the same reason I don't have a pair of the Sundown SD4's on the way.

The question about the high roll surround was kind of tongue in cheek. I know why manufacturers do it, it just isn't pleasing to my eye and it makes it challenging in a behind the seat application. I much rather prefer the HAMR surround of the Alpine or the S surround of the Sundown SD series.

I kind of like what I'm seeing on paper with the Sundown SML series but there really aren't any reviews out there for them. Oh well, the search goes on...
I'm holding out for the sd5 shallow personally the sml models with a fairly high peak which isn't something you want if you play rap or anything with really low notes. Much as I like sundown the sml and sd4 really didn't model well IMHO.

16984505853562911134966720028945.jpg
this is the adire audio koda 10s in
1cube yellow
.75 green
.5 red

I do have a pair of dual 4ohm still bnib I could ship out for 450.

Was trying to sell them but kinda gave up. No body was really interested considering the 250w rating but they are 5inch deep and the koda 8 I have in my truck sounds good on 300w. If they don't sell well I'll likely do something with them. I just decided to go a bit bigger in my install.

That sub in the .75 enclosure is very close to what my enclosure is and actually looks pretty good. The lower wattage wouldn't be a big deal as my sub channel is only rated at 500 rms at 2 ohms. The only problem is its not 1 ohm stable so 4 ohm dvc subs would give me a 4 ohm load at 350 watts rms.

That sub in the .75 enclosure is very close to what my enclosure is and actually looks pretty good. The lower wattage wouldn't be a big deal as my sub channel is only rated at 500 rms at 2 ohms. The only problem is its not 1 ohm stable so 4 ohm dvc subs would give me a 4 ohm load at 350 watts rms.
I mainly posted to show the difference in response curve. Sealed boxes rely on cabin gain to play the low end frequencies. I personally don't like that and would rather have too much low end that I need to cut than possibly have anemic low end. My 8 for instance is great from 40-150 but below 40 it falls off pretty fast. But I knew that when designing the box. I wanted the 8 up front playing 50-150 to help my midbass drivers.

These particular 10s I would put in 1.5ft³ each at 31hz if I were to install them

Last edited:
I wish I had the room for a bigger enclosure but I'm limited to the space I have. I've also really always been a sealed enclosure guy...mostly because I've always had trucks so I've never had enough room for a proper ported enclosure. I have tried a couple ported that were too small and did not like how they sounded so I've gone back to sealed. I think, for my listening tastes, sealed works better.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...