Looking at the Sundown X-18

8thGenSI
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Hi guys,

Looking into building a pair of home theater subs, I figured because the subs I want to use are designed for car audio I would ask about it here.

How would these subs perform tuned very low, around the 18hz range? I would run a pair of them in separate boxes, each would see between 1200-2400 watts depending on how I configure my amps?

I was thinking of going with a pair of the Dayton Ultimax 18's but I wanted to do something a little different.

Im sure they would preform excellent, but it seems to be a pretty expensive sub to use for a home theater sub. Home theater doesn't need much power to get loud. I would reccomeded a dayton ho sub.

Im sure they would preform excellent, but it seems to be a pretty expensive sub to use for a home theater sub. Home theater doesn't need much power to get loud. I would reccomeded a dayton ho sub.
I probably should have said that these are going into the worst acoustical environment, 2 car garage with open rafters and studs. The room also has a ton of reflection issues but I can correct that. The problem is I need to make up for having a bad listening area with moving a ton of air. I was looking at the Sundown because I figured it would have better peak to peak excursion then the Dayton, I did not check the specs yet though.

The Stereo Integrity HST18MKII is basically a good choice, and can tune to 22hrtz in 6cuft net, 4 inches peak to peak excursion. I have on sealed, on a IA20.1, love it dude. It has the new zv5 motor, unlike the pic on their website. And it did arrive in a Sundown Audio shipping box.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I ended up buying 2 of the Dayton ultimax 18's for now. I figured I would eventually go with 4 of them and keep the power requirements reasonable. The Stereo Integrity looked sweet but budget and power requirements would be a whole new level. I figured 4 of the Ultimax 18's and 2 Crown XLS-2502's should be more then enough and still fit my budget. I'll post pics of the box build when I get around to building, I'm thinking of tuning to something like 18hz.

Or Dayton Audio Ultimax 18.
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I ended up buying 2 of the Dayton ultimax 18's for now. I figured I would eventually go with 4 of them and keep the power requirements reasonable. The Stereo Integrity looked sweet but budget and power requirements would be a whole new level. I figured 4 of the Ultimax 18's and 2 Crown XLS-2502's should be more then enough and still fit my budget. I'll post pics of the box build when I get around to building, I'm thinking of tuning to something like 18hz.
I win!!!

18Hz?! Dayum. Trying to communicate with the whales huh..!!

I win!!!
18Hz?! Dayum. Trying to communicate with the whales huh..!!
That you did sir... Great subs from what I read, been considering pretty heavily for quite some time.

I see quite a few guys tuning that low for home theater applications, I might even go sealed but not sure yet.

Yeah HT purposes is def tuned low...not sure how low but don't know the average tuning for HT sub enclosures....kinda like car audio is usually 30-35Hz. Maybe 16-20Hz for home audio ???

Most bass in movies dont reach the teens. Majority is 20hz to 45hz for the deep booms. However fast and high impact stuff like machine guns and the initial sounds of the explosions etc is actually midbass high up in 60hz to 100hz region, the tail end of explosions is where the 20hz lingers. Tuning 22 to 25hz tuning is plenty, especially with the cone area you have however youll need crazy midbass to counterbalance it. Going any lower throws output into the trash for not much gain at all. If you have space, do a t line box you will play everything fine, no holes in the sound and you wont need a ridiculous midbass setup

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree^. I hear of HT guys tuning really low, but on that much cone area, i dont see how any less than 20s tune is needed. I hooked up my xcon 15 in my house at 28hz, only getting a few hundred watts. It played every explosion, jet takeoff etc

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.