look at this beast!!!

I wasn't asking for an explanation of where the term BL comes from. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif I was asking for a T/S list (not Klippel data) to see if you were referring to the 2200 figure as BL^2/Re or where you were coming up with that from.

Are you talking about BL^2/Re when you say "achieving in the high 20's"? The little 2.5" coil SPL Obsidian prototypes we built a year ago are near 150. Stock OA's are at/near 90.
Bueller...Bueller....?

this compared to the stroker pro? the stroker pro was a huge failure, the orginal stroker from the 1970's was louder in spl testing.

curious to see what this will do in a swap compare,needs testing. I love to see new designs and people tring new things...

Are you talking about BL^2/Re when you say "achieving in the high 20's"? The little 2.5" coil SPL Obsidian prototypes we built a year ago are near 150. Stock OA's are at/near 90.
As I'm sure you know, I highly doubt he is referencing BL^2/Re. Having a BL^2/Re in the high 20's would be a joke for what his intention are for this design or just about any subwoofer design IMO.

As I'm sure you know, I highly doubt he is referencing BL^2/Re. Having a BL^2/Re in the high 20's would be a joke for what his intention are for this design or just about any subwoofer design IMO.
If that is the case, what is he refering to? I've been asking the same question for a while now with zero explanation.

If that is the case, what is he refering to? I've been asking the same question for a while now with zero explanation.

This is his thread on SSA about it. No T/S specs available yet apparently, and everything seems to be based off his FEMM model. Here are a few pics I found. Doesn't look like he has uploaded any FEMM models using the SPL coil yet though. Will be interesting once he does get T/S specs.

DSC_0173_zps6f83b0f5.jpg

magnetarBL_zpsf1c0e9bc.png

the coil on the right dose not look good to me. too much ww for spl and a lot of windings for mass, also with that thick of a winding cooling isn't going to be good.

This is his thread on SSA about it. No T/S specs available yet apparently, and everything seems to be based off his FEMM model. Here are a few pics I found. Doesn't look like he has uploaded any FEMM models using the SPL coil yet though. Will be interesting once he does *edit* POST *edit* T/S specs.
Slight correction there. It's not when he gets T/S's, it's when he posts T/S's. T/S measurements are easily taken within a minute or two of a woofer being produced (from/by whoever builds it). Also if he has a FEM model he could post those anticipated T/S's (FEM spits out T/S's parameters - it's built into the modeling program). Even if the magnetizer he is using is off by a few percent it would still be nice to see the numbers. And while I'm talking about FEM, that flux image does not support a BL^2/Re of what he claims if that is the "SPL" coil in the model. But at this point we are all speculating what figure he keeps referring to since it is obviously not BL^2/Re.

Last edited by a moderator:
Slight correction there. It's not when he gets T/S's, it's when he posts T/S's. T/S measurements are easily taken within a minute or two of a woofer being produced (from/by whoever builds it).
Valid point, no reason why he shouldn't have them readily available. I believe he has even mentioned in his forum that he has a DATS, so he could at least give us some quick ballpark figures.

Also if he has a FEM model he could post those anticipated T/S's (FEM spits out T/S's parameters - it's built into the modeling program).
I'm not going to lie, this is news to me. I have FEMM installed on my PC as well, and I am not aware of it being built with the ability to spit out complete T/S parameters. It will obviously give you BL^2/Re, but I do not see how it could provide a whole list of T/S parameters (ex. how would FEMM calculate Cms or Vas?)

Even if the magnetizer he is using is off by a few percent it would still be nice to see the numbers. And while I'm talking about FEM, that flux image does not support a BL^2/Re of what he claims if that is the "SPL" coil in the model. But at this point we are all speculating what figure he keeps referring to since it is obviously not BL^2/Re.
As mentioned in my post you quoted, it does not look like he has uploaded any FEMM models using the SPL coil. I would assume the model he is showing is with the daily coil. However, I do agree 100% that this is all speculation until he comes back and provides an answer for these questions.

Hopefully he comes back soon to provide further clarification //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I'm pretty sure he decided to not go with the spl coil something about the daily coil is just as good and it gonna keep cost down.As for "Q" I think he has given up on the sight or just rather busy one or the two.Stays at SSA mostly,I'll shoot him an email an see if he will find time to come over.

The FEMM model above is the daily coil. As previously stated the SPL coil will not be used due to induction so there is no need to have it Klippeled. I do not publish small signal parameters as they are not an accurate representation of a driver under power. The current sample I have is built to handle the SPL coil therefor the gap is ~3mm bigger than needed for the daily coil. This is why it has not been Klippeled as of yet.

The correct BL of the dual one ohm coil series is 19.4 TM at 1.6 ohms giving it a motor force factor of 235. (Reasoning for this is explained at SSA). Xmax of the driver (with daily coil) will be 37.5mm one way per coil over hang method. Per the 70% BL method it will be ~45mm one way. As soon as I have production samples built and tested by Pat Turnmire and I have a few current customers test it in the real world I won't have anymore information avaliable. Once I do it'll be posted in my section.

Just a quick bit of info until I get time to put it up in my section. The driver uses MMAG technology (think older striker pro with clear cap). It uses 25mm thick plates the main magnets are 270mm OD and the Diode magnet is 220mm. The current coil in it is an "SPL" coil to give it massive amounts of motor force. In this configuration it is around 2,800. However with this big 8 layer 95mm long coil there is a down side, inductance. Which we all know kills top end bass. Plus it just has too much force for its own good. The spider pack is twice as hard as an IA Warden and still moves ~15mm one way free air on 500watts. Efficiency rating on this set up is ~92 1w/1m and ~99 at 2.83 volts/mI will be tearing it down soon and putting in the "normal" MMAG coil which will give it a motor force factor around 400 and offer 42.5mm of one way linear Xmax. By June I will have engineering complete and tooling made for soft parts that will offer upwards of 60mm one way linear Xmax which will be needed to support the motor offerings that will be avaliable this fall. In the mean time this motor, if Klippel testing goes good, will be offered in beta form with 12 spoked baskets which offer ~32.5mm throw one way which i have Klippel graphs on and will be posting soon.
what kinda price range are we looking at?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

garychurch84

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
garychurch84
hornbeak,tn
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date