Lithium Wave...

Participant count
  • Participant list

illridge

CarAudio.com Recruit
usa
Ok so i wanna get on the wave... Lithium wave. late but not too late lol.

So with lithium... if a battery is rated at 1C charging rate, does that mean it will only draw 1C of current on charging even when more current is available?

Ok so i wanna get on the wave... Lithium wave. late but not too late lol.

So with lithium... if a battery is rated at 1C charging rate, does that mean it will only draw 1C of current on charging even when more current is available?

No, 1c is the max recommended charging current. Simple math:

40ah battery bank x 1C charge rate = 40 amp charging current.

If you have a 300A alternator and an 80ah bank that can charge at 1c, you are overcharging your cells.

Matt

JY HP40 amp hour is supposed to charge anywhere from 1C to 2C.
But i would guess you would have to discharge the bank really deep for it to draw more than 80amps from the alt on charging........

or am I missing something?

1c recharge is a low recharge rate, like AGM low. Look for cells with a 2c-5c recharge rate. And size your bank according to draw requirements AND recharge from your alternator(s). a 8-10c discharge, with a 5c recharge is leaps and bounds ahead of any AGM, and will do most people well.

JY HP40 amp hour is supposed to charge anywhere from 1C to 2C.
But i would guess you would have to discharge the bank really deep for it to draw more than 80amps from the alt on charging........

or am I missing something?

CHARGE CURRENT (A)

300 amps. Exceeding this will reduce cycle life

Ok, so they dont like being charged over 300 amps-- which is ~7C.
I get that.
I'm just trying to make sure my 160 amp factory alt and the lithium agree with each other.

F it!
I'm in it....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...