Subs/amp Cutting Out and Making Popping Sound

Participant count
  • Participant list

CTSS

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello, this is my first time posting here.

I own a Sony XAV-AX5000 head unit, Kicker ZX1000.1 amp, two 10” Alpine Type-R subs.
Recently we started experiencing -10°C below freezing temperatures and my subs have started cutting out (both intermittently and for extended periods or until amplifier is turned on and off) and making popping sounds, whether music is playing or not.

I’ve had these installed for 6 months without issue. I installed the setup myself, it wasn’t done professionally. I grinded down to bare metal for my amp ground.

Here are the symptoms that started with the really cold weather. When I start my car there is typically an initial loud pop. Then popping sound continues, typically fairly rapid. Even after the car shuts off and my head unit powers off, the subs sometimes still make a popping sound for the approximately 10 seconds until the amp powers down.

This amp is 10 years old and has seen 10 Canadian winters. It has been used heavily for almost all of its life.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot my issue so I know what’s causing this?

The sony has a 10 sec delay that turns on and off the remote wire. Im currently trying to find a way to resolve this because of fear of damaging my equipment. Dont know why sony did this

The sony has a 10 sec delay that turns on and off the remote wire. Im currently trying to find a way to resolve this because of fear of damaging my equipment. Dont know why sony did this
I think a 10 second delay should not cause damage to any equipment. If anything, I think it may protect equipment since the amp will power up/down after the surge of everything else powering up/down. Although ten seconds is a long time when waiting for your music to start playing.

I think a 10 second delay should not cause damage to any equipment. If anything, I think it may protect equipment since the amp will power up/down after the surge of everything else powering up/down. Although ten seconds is a long time when waiting for your music to start playing.
So your saying that i shouldnt worry about it. The head unit on start up has a warning screen about driving and looking at the screen so those 10 sec start up for the remote wire is not noticeable what is noticeable is the popping sound as well when i turn off the vehicle lol.

But the OP says he's having popping sounds that continue and get rapid which i dont have that issue. He might have something more serious.

So your saying that i shouldnt worry about it. The head unit on start up has a warning screen about driving and looking at the screen so those 10 sec start up for the remote wire is not noticeable what is noticeable is the popping sound as well when i turn off the vehicle lol.

But the OP says he's having popping sounds that continue and get rapid which i dont have that issue. He might have something more serious.

But the OP says he's having popping sounds that continue and get rapid which i dont have that issue. He might have something more serious
TBH, the only times I have gotten popping issues, the culprit has been the amp. On one occassion it was a loud humming when I would close my door a bit too hard (everything would be off). One thing that vexed me was that I would unplug the RCAs and the popping would stop. That would lead me to pursue other possible issues with no solutions. I would change out the amp, issue fixed. So on this issue I concur with AnthonyO. Just try another amp to quickly ascertain if the amp is the issue.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...