Lithium Battery Question

Participant count
  • Participant list

Bobbytwonames
5,000+ posts

Trigger Man!
Vegas
Is there any reason why I couldn't run this battery in my car? It says 60ah. Sorry if it's a dumb question, I'm just not experienced in using lithium TIA!

20210424_050613.jpg
20210424_050652.jpg
20210424_050556.jpg

People run lithium batteries in their vehicles all the time. They charge off your standard alternators.
You could be right. We had one in our boat, but there was no alternator. We put one in a Ford F-350 that was only used for winter snow plowing thinking lithium could store for 8 months then be started and charged, and it failed. It’s very possible that it was user error in some way on our part.

You could be right. We had one in our boat, but there was no alternator. We put one in a Ford F-350 that was only used for winter snow plowing thinking lithium could store for 8 months then be started and charged, and it failed. It’s very possible that it was user error in some way on our part.

They need to be charged right and have the overcharge protection from what I've learned. This is a friend of mines lithium banks. He also runs 3- 370 amp alternators.

20210307_092158.jpg

That’s why I stated that I’m not sure charging directly off and alternator like a lead battery is the correct way in my first response. Anything can be done, and I’m sure you can regulate the charge similar to solar panel buck conversion. What does he have in between the alternator and the lithium ions? Does it just charge plug and play with the alternators?

That’s why I stated that I’m not sure charging directly off and alternator like a lead battery is the correct way in my first response. Anything can be done, and I’m sure you can regulate the charge similar to solar panel buck conversion. What does he have in between the alternator and the lithium ions? Does it just charge plug and play with the alternators?

He was plug and play, but now he is running one of these. His voltage stays between 15.5 and 16.0.

Screenshot_20210424-071924_Chrome.jpg

Seems like you’d still want to run a normal battery to drive the car and isolate the lithium’s to only run the stereo. Are his lithium’s actually running his vehicle also? That was your original question. Not wether you can use them in a stereo.

I believe lithium batteries designed for boats don't provide enough current. That was the case when I was looking at Dakota Lithium's website anyway.

I believe lithium batteries designed for boats don't provide enough current. That was the case when I was looking at Dakota Lithium's website anyway.
Same. I emailed Dakota about using their 100ah Lithium for car audio cuz it was only like $900 but they said it wouldn’t work.

The refresh rate may not be what you would want for car audio but I do know a few people that run misolar batteries with I guess good results

Even though it says LifePo? I thought that is what some people like to use. I'm trying to find a lithium battery for 3,000 watts.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.