Liquid sound deadener?!?!?!

zchmiel
10+ year member

Hey everyone, ok im trying to make my car as quiet as possible and have a few questions. Ok as of so far i have used raamatt around the entire car and have used neoporene(forgot how you spell it) to get rid of the road noise also. I was wondering if i used liquid deadener on the outside of the car(such as the bottom of the car) then would this end up making the inside ride quieter or end up just adding more weight to my car? Any thoughts? Thanks everyone

Yes, it most definitely will. I used Second Skin Spectrum on my wheel weels and front fenders, about 3 layers worth and a layer of sludge and it made a significant difference. You will need multiple coats since liquid deadener is thin. I'd recommend using several layers of sludge, it's just easier and thicker. Tough part is getting all the dirty junk off the car before applying.

Yes, it most definitely will. I used Second Skin Spectrum on my wheel weels and front fenders, about 3 layers worth and a layer of sludge and it made a significant difference. You will need multiple coats since liquid deadener is thin. I'd recommend using several layers of sludge, it's just easier and thicker. Tough part is getting all the dirty junk off the car before applying.
When you say the wheel wells, are you talking about the plastic part that is above the wheels/tires, or the actual metal that is underneath?

We make our own products called Spectrum & Sludge

Litterally. I mix up the lab batches myself then send the formula off to a guy a few miles up the street where we mix 200 gallons at a time.

Cascade sells a quality product.

Quiet car 118 is good

Lizard skin sound formula is good, but I heard they are out of business.

Not sure if stealthkote is around any more

ANT

I have 5 gallons of spectrum sludge in my car and it worked great, I put 3 layers over top of the dynamat extreme that was already on the trunk lid (and the expanding foam filling the spaces) and it is solid as a rock now. I also did the floor, rear deck, and the rear doors (both inside of the interior panel and the exterior panel of the car on the inside of it).

I would suggest spectrum sludge //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i put lots of cascade in my car it works great i even have some for sale in the classifieds. lots of undercoating helps also. may not work as good as deadener but for outside the car you know it is durable

some of the water base dampers out there will do well as an undercoating.

Some will fail

I use 3 different fillers that increase strength, resist chemcicals and improve adhesion. This way it will hold up to the elements under the car. Our Spectrum and Sludge products are ture undercoatings. Unline reglar undercoatings however ours will destry vibrations and structure borne noise.

ANT

http://www.secondskinaudio.com

Eh.. Noxudol is ok but nothing special.We got a who bunch of it from a distributor that went out of business and had to dump their inventory.. The mesh size of the filler is huge!! may as well be filled with sand...

Good but not great..

ANT
No ****? Good to know, thanks. Looks solid, but you never know.

I've liked all the liquids I've used, Ant's Sludge and Spectrum and VB-1. Spectrum dries fast and goes on very well. VB-1 I think bonds better and seems more impervious to any abrasion or outside elements. Sludge will obviously take longer to cure, so the bottom of a car might not be the best application if you need to drive your car the next day.

When you say the wheel wells, are you talking about the plastic part that is above the wheels/tires, or the actual metal that is underneath?
I never thought about tdiong the plastic part you're mentioning. I did it underneath. It was a night and day difference. Just take off the wheel and apply.

You can see here one of the pics where I did the wheel wells. It was still in it's drying state at that point. http://secondskinaudio.com/rides-user.php?userride=117

No ****? Good to know, thanks. Looks solid, but you never know.
I've liked all the liquids I've used, Ant's Sludge and Spectrum and VB-1. Spectrum dries fast and goes on very well. VB-1 I think bonds better and seems more impervious to any abrasion or outside elements. Sludge will obviously take longer to cure, so the bottom of a car might not be the best application if you need to drive your car the next day.
I am pretty sure teh resin they use is a high quality acrylic but the filler is very gritty and unimpressive.

I am pretty sure you used the old version of Spectrum and Sludge John.

In the newer version (as recent as the last batch), we added wax, and silicone additives to help increase weatherability and improve adhesion.

The new stuff is absolutely amazing.. We make small changes to the formula every batch in an effort to strive for perfection.

The stuff we are making next week, is going to be our best yet. I can't give out to much info be we are using a new cryogenicly manipulated polymer that maintains it elastomeric values at any temperature.. We are the only coating compnay out there to have access to this product. The lab batches I worked out are absolutely stunning. Very exciting stuff!

PM me your address and I will get you a sample gallon

ANT

I am pretty sure teh resin they use is a high quality acrylic but the filler is very gritty and unimpressive.
I am pretty sure you used the old version of Spectrum and Sludge John.

In the newer version (as recent as the last batch), we added wax, and silicone additives to help increase weatherability and improve adhesion.

The new stuff is absolutely amazing.. We make small changes to the formula every batch in an effort to strive for perfection.

The stuff we are making next week, is going to be our best yet. I can't give out to much info be we are using a new cryogenicly manipulated polymer that maintains it elastomeric values at any temperature.. We are the only coating compnay out there to have access to this product. The lab batches I worked out are absolutely stunning. Very exciting stuff!

PM me your address and I will get you a sample gallon

ANT
Why don't you send out a sample gallon to me? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I took down my headliner last night and discovered that good portion of my second skin had finally come down. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Though I had the ORIGINAL second skin that I believe was asphalt based. I would love to get my hands on some of the new stuff but don't have the funds right now. The new stuff seems much more impressive.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.