Linking Multiple Speakers on One Path; Possible?

Participant count
  • Participant list

MCarbonaro
10+ year member

New York
I currently have a '95 Toyota Corolla equipped with four speakers; (2) 4" Pyle 180W 2-way speakers in the front doors and (2) 5.25" Pyle 200W 3-way speakers on the rear deck. I just finished putting these in along with a new head unit. I'm happy with the head unit, but feel as though my speakers lack the power I'm looking for. I noticed through the inside of my trunk that while the felt dash seen from the back seat does not have holes for 6" x 9" speakers, the metal support underneath it does. I am now considering cutting into the felt dash and installing exposed (2) 6" x 9" 300W 3-way speakers. I'm not looking to get a sub, so I see 2 potential upgrade options that I'd consider:

1) -Removing the 4" speakers from the front doors

-Moving the 5.25" speakers from the rear up to the front doors

-Installing (2) 6" x 9" speakers in the back in place of the 5.25" speakers

2) -Re-wiring the back speakers to allow for (2) 5.25" speakers AND (2) 6" x 9" speakers*

-Leaving the 4" speakers in the front doors

*I would wire the car's rear right ground wire to the - terminal of the right 5.25", the + terminal of the 5.25" would connect to the - terminal of the 6" x 9", and then the + terminal of the 6" x 9" would connect to the car's rear right hot/ live wire. I would then mirror this with the left rear speakers. SOMEONE PLEASE CONFIRM OR REFUTE THIS AS A POSSIBILITY!!

Option 1 seem like it would lead to a more balanced sound but in comparison to option 2, the system would not be as powerful.

Option 2 concerns me with the balance; having only about 25 square inches of speaker in the front while having approximately 141 square inches of speaker in the back would result in an 8db difference in sound at 75% volume.

A friend of mine has (2) stock 6" in the front doors and (2) stock 6" x 9" in the back and has, what I would consider, a decent amount of power. I'm looking to get a comparable set up to his; if not better. Would option 2 allow me to do so or would I have to sacrifice the power of the rear (4) speakers to maintain a proper balance throughout the car?

~Mark

Why would you ever buy Pyle speakers? I wonder if the stock ones were better... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suicide.gif.a649d21efc0d1fd4890a6428166586c1.gif

Why would you ever buy Pyle speakers? I wonder if the stock ones were better... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suicide.gif.a649d21efc0d1fd4890a6428166586c1.gif
I got all 4 Pyle speakers for $40 total because I previously only had 3 speakers total, one of which was blown out. I just wanted 4 working speakers but am now looking to upgrade. CONSTRUCTIVE criticism only please.

It seems like your main concern is having more power, for this I would recommend you get an amplifier for the speakers before you get bigger ones or more speakers. You have to have the power to support more speakers or it won’t make any difference at all. Also I would stick with round speakers as much as possible because oval cones have a relatively unnatural sound

Get a nice 4 channel amp, if that doesn't make them sound nicer then I'd try saving up and getting a decent set of components up front and leaving the rears not amped.

A couple of things -

Of your original options, using 6X9's instead of the 5.25's in the rear deck would undoubtedly be louder. If you can squeeze 5.25's in the front doors and seal them properly that would also be an improvement, especially with bass. Running 2 sets of speakers off the HU rear channels would overload the HU and probably damage it.

I would persue that path and if it's not loud enough, then consider an amp.

... and ditch the Pyles.

A couple of things -
Of your original options, using 6X9's instead of the 5.25's in the rear deck would undoubtedly be louder. If you can squeeze 5.25's in the front doors and seal them properly that would also be an improvement, especially with bass. Running 2 sets of speakers off the HU rear channels would overload the HU and probably damage it.

I would persue that path and if it's not loud enough, then consider an amp.

... and ditch the Pyles.
Lol well I'll ditch the Pyles if I find out they aren't satisfactory after getting the 6" x 9" but I think I'm gonna go with the first option because I had a feeling the 6 speakers would be an overload on the system. As for what CivicGTI said, idk how an oval speaker sounds "unnatural." As I mentioned in my first post, my friend has (2) 6" x 9" speakers on his back deck and they sound very good IMO.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.