Line level or Pre-amp outputs?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Feola86

CT
I just picked up an AppRadio 4 for my 04 Jetta. I currently have an Alpine CDE-W235BT to an Alpine MRX-F65 Feeding Alpine Type-R components and an Alpine MRX-M110 feeding 2 Alpine Type-R 12D2s.

My Alpine HU only has per-amp outputs for the mono block amp so I'm currently using the speaker level inputs on the 4 channel amp. The AppRadio has pre amp outputs for everything. I plan on running new 12G speaker wire from the 4 channel amp to all the speakers this spring. While I'm running new wire should I run RCAs from the HU to the 4 channel amp? Will pre amp outputs from the HU give me better sound or should i just stick with speaker level inputs?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just picked up an AppRadio 4 for my 04 Jetta. I currently have an Alpine CDE-W235BT to an Alpine MRX-F65 Feeding Alpine Type-R components and an Alpine MRX-M110 feeding 2 Alpine Type-R 12D2s.My Alpine HU doesnt have pre amp outputs for the door speakers so I'm currently using the line level inputs on the 4 channel amp. The AppRadio has pre amp outputs. I plan on running new 12G speaker wire from the 4 channel amp to all the speakers this spring. While I'm running new wire should I run RCAs from the HU to the 4 channel amp? Will pre amp outputs from the HU give me better sound or should i just stick with line level inputs?

You're getting some terms confused. Pre-amp outputs are line-level. Amplified outputs are speaker-level (also called high level) outputs.

Your Alpine w235bt has preamp/line level outputs which could be connected to your amplifier via rca cables. The new AppRadio 4 also has preamp/line level outputs. So yes, run rca cables from the source unit (AppRadio or Alpine w235bt) you use to the amplifier.

You're getting some terms confused. Pre-amp outputs are line-level. Amplified outputs are speaker-level (also called high level) outputs.
Your Alpine w235bt has preamp/line level outputs which could be connected to your amplifier via rca cables. The new AppRadio 4 also has preamp/line level outputs. So yes, run rca cables from the source unit (AppRadio or Alpine w235bt) you use to the amplifier.
Well I feel like an idiot now haha,I rephrased my OP. So it would be wise for me to run RCAs from the AppRadio to the 4 channel amp? The only pre-amp output the Alpine HU has is for the Sub woofer which i do utilize.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.