Line Driver with iPOD?

Participant count
  • Participant list
So I have been looking at line drivers so I can hook up my amp and subwoofer to my factory system and was possibly going to go with the Rockford listed below

Rockford Fosgate -RFBLD

Rockford Fosgate RF-BLD 2-Channel Balanced Line Driver

However I came across this JL Audio

JL Audio CL-RLC Fully Active, 2-Channel Remote Level Control

When I read the reviews from the JL Audio one, I was curious about what two people had wrote.

1 reviewer wrote " This allowed me to hook my iPod up directly to the amp without the voltage drop from the iPod's audio jack (which turns into a volume drop). "

another guy had wrote, " Got this to work with my Ipad Install in my Jeep works great"

So I'm curious, I can hook up my iPod or iPad to this line driver or to my amp?

I'm confused. because with my factory system I don't have a iPod connection which I need and didn't want to spend $500 for the Mercedes Benz integration kit. I want the highest quality sound, no AUX connection, no bluetooth..

I used to have a USB connection from my HeadUnit but that was in my old car, I am leaving the factory HU in my mercedes but I want that high quality like a direct USB connection like before.. So is it possible to get that with this JL Audio line driver, someone please explain..

thanks.

I'm not sure I understand your question. Study this -->http://mediacdn.jlaudio.com/media/mfg/9013/media_document/live_1/CL_RLC_MAN.pdf?1305783846

The RLC is like a fancy y-splitter, except one of the outputs is amplified and has a variable gain control.

You can connect an ipod to the input RCA jacks with an ipod to RCA adapter cable. Then you can use the amplifier output to drive your amplifier. The amplified output is capable of 7.5 V RMS which is plenty of signal to drive your amp to full power. You can mount the knob in a handy location and use it as a master volume control.

If you hook things up this way, then you are only going to be able to listen to the ipod - not your head unit. Basically you are connecting your ipod to a variable gain preamp and then to your system amps.

If you want the option of switching back and forth between your head unit and an ipod then there are better line driver options out there - heck, an old school clarion or autotek EQ would do a better job and both would provide you a switchable aux input for your ipod.

I was just looking at the best line driver to use when I came those reviews on the JL Audio line driver where they hooked up their iPod and iPads. However reading back thru, it looks like they just use AUX connection...? which the quality thru AUX is not as good as direct USB from the HU. So I was wondering what is my best option for hooking up my iPod to my factory system without spending $500. I guess I can go on ebay and find that Mercedes Benz kit for cheaper.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.