Lights still dim with upgraded electrical..

LinxuS
10+ year member

Jellysickle
Las Vegas
I'm just curious if theres a way to overcome this. The dimming isn't bad, but it's noticeable.

Electrical:

Big 3 done in 0 guage, Optima Yellow Top under the hood (34 / 78 size), and an Iraggi 240 amp alternator (that was previously owned by Thunder9500 for a year). 1/0 going to a Distro Block, and then 4 guage going to each amp. The 4 guage going to the sub amp is probably about 1-2 feet long.

As far as how many watts are in my system, I'd have to say anywhere between 1100 - 1400 at very max.

1200 RMS @ 1 ohm to the sub, and about 140 RMS @ 4 ohm total for the speakers.

Any ideas on how to prevent / help with dimming?

Well the big 3 and wiring was done professionally, so I know thats not the problem.

If I put a DMM on the battery it sits at 14.7 - 14.8 at idle, with lights off, and about 14.6-14.7 with lights on..

But they still dim with the bass.

Like I said, it's not a big problem, but it's more of a surprise to me with this electrical. And makes me worry if I want to upgrade in the near future to a bigger amp.

I think the only way to truly cure this is to have the stereo system operating off of another battery.

With a 240 amp alternator you shouldn't have much dimming problems though. Maybe it doesn't put out much power at idle?

I'd like to do a second battery, but I just don't really have the room. It's an extended cab ford ranger, but I like having a little room on the side to put bags and stuff.

My system is around 2200watts and with an SVR up front, BIG 3 in 1/0, and EA 200amp alt I still got some dimming. Adding a 2nd battery in the trunk with the sub amp connected to that and dimming is gone now.

what in the hell? you should not be getting any dimming with a 240 amp alternator off of 1200 watts...

only thing it can be is the alternator is bad, as thats the only thing that sits between the battery. your car gets power from the alternator or the battery...period. so if the lights dim, it means its pulling too much current from the alt and is starting to reach its dirty hands into the battery power cookie jar. call iraggi and tell him whats up.

edit: almost forgot. check all your terminals for corrosion. at the alt and the battery. and also go and get the battery tested at autozone or some place to make sure its still good and to eliminate it as a possibility

what in the hell? you should not be getting any dimming with a 240 amp alternator off of 1200 watts...
only thing it can be is the alternator is bad, as thats the only thing that sits between the battery. your car gets power from the alternator or the battery...period. so if the lights dim, it means its pulling too much current from the alt and is starting to reach its dirty hands into the battery power cookie jar. call iraggi and tell him whats up.

edit: almost forgot. check all your terminals for corrosion. at the alt and the battery. and also go and get the battery tested at autozone or some place to make sure its still good and to eliminate it as a possibility
Then again it could be true. Reading a lot of these HO alt specs... .and althought they CAN run at 240amps, it's usally at a high rpm. So some even only get you very low amps, like 90+.

I'd take it to advanced and check ur amps from that alt.

I'm pretty sure u can sqeeze another batt under the hood.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.