let's talk sound deadning

flatland
10+ year member

There are just a few brands out there , but what would be the best material for the money? And has anyone found the best place to buy it?

What about layers? Is one enough? Or should I strive for atleast 2+?

What about doors? Should I just do the inner part of the door , or do both the inner and outer(door skin) area?

I've only used cld tiles from sound deadener showdown. They are great for the price. I put subs in my crew cab truck, 1 tile on the back cab wall stopped all audible vibrations inside the cab. It still rattles outside on the right side because the tile is on the left but I cat hear it inside.

I plan to do my doors with his other products when it warms up. If the tiles do that good I bet his other products work perfect as well

There are just a few brands out there , but what would be the best material for the money? And has anyone found the best place to buy it?
What about layers? Is one enough? Or should I strive for atleast 2+?

What about doors? Should I just do the inner part of the door , or do both the inner and outer(door skin) area?
for the money fatmat.. for best performance damplifier pro. buy it online. Hard to say how much you need without knowing how much power you are running. if your running 600watts i would say 1 layer.. if your running 30,000 going to need a few more. do the doors. do the farthest inside of the door. the part that is closest to the outside. dampen the middle heavy should do the trick. inner part usually has lots of curves for structure so they shouldnt rattle.. dont go too crazy.. i run over 20k and i only got 2 layers.. 1 layer of damplifier should cover ya

Fatmat rattletrap. no more than 25% on ANY surface. Any more and your wasting time and money. Next get either CDL tiles over that or get MLV with the CCF attached. Either will make things nice and solid. You can also go overkill and fill the areas you cannot get to with two part expanding foam, then stuff fiberglass over that, then cut pieces of CCF to fit openings in the body metal and seal them in with a butyl culk. It is all up to you. Everyone has their opinion. I know what works for me. In my younger years I played the "Dynamat" game and stacked two layers all over cars. Then I realized the art of the CCL, MLV, and CDL tiles. Then again I am into SQ, not SPL.

Fatmat rattletrap. no more than 25% on ANY surface. Any more and your wasting time and money. Next get either CDL tiles over that or get MLV with the CCF attached. Either will make things nice and solid. You can also go overkill and fill the areas you cannot get to with two part expanding foam, then stuff fiberglass over that, then cut pieces of CCF to fit openings in the body metal and seal them in with a butyl culk. It is all up to you. Everyone has their opinion. I know what works for me. In my younger years I played the "Dynamat" game and stacked two layers all over cars. Then I realized the art of the CCL, MLV, and CDL tiles. Then again I am into SQ, not SPL.
Thank you!

I have FatMat Rattletrap...and while i'v read terrible things about them for years i got it for free, i truthfully have no vibrations with one layer. i havent reinstalled the speakers yet but my imported european RoadRace suspension shows no rattles or vibrations, and im stiffer than a new Z06...i didnt have a rattle from subs without though, i was very fortunate OEM!

Overall what are your goals? Getting rid of a few rattles aside. What do you plan to run system wise. Because running a set of rsd comes vs 2 pairs of mids per door with 700 watts rms is a huge difference. With rsd type comps the 25% method will work great however with am install like mine(yes I have a pair of mids per door and 700 watts rms per side) you're going to need a lot of Deadener. Welding bracing in would be better though

Overall what are your goals? Getting rid of a few rattles aside. What do you plan to run system wise.
i have a 5 1/4' mb quart driver plus a mb quart 1'' tweeter in each pillar. i also have a 10'' mb quart sub in the kick pannel/ pass side floor area. (both have been finished up last night around 3am-lol)

i plan on running a mb quart 5 channel amp, but still need to wait on the trusty tax return to come through . along with picking out a reliable sq head unit , and also purchasing all my wire for power/ground - teminals-interconects- and fuse holders for my stereo wire going back to the amp, and doing ''the big 3''.

''my plan'' was to get my amp, and build up the amp rack and pull it back out till i get everything i need to complete it , and start tuning (this is exactly what im doing with the pillars , and sub encloser till im ready for it )

my next and final step will be to completely ''gut '' the cars interior , and sound deaden the car. that way i can run everything i need to run with out having any problems with '' something in the way ''.

im getting there slowly , but i want it to be correct the first time around, just like before when i used to compete in meca sql events (about 6-7 years ago) i have the peace of mind of my craftsmanship will not fail on me .

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.