lets discuss my setup i am installing

Greggk
10+ year member

An ARMY NCO 24/7
ok, lets start this by putting some background into this

by no means am I a die hard audiophile.

I own a 1999 F250 with the 7.3 Powerstroke turbo diesel. I had to replace the head unit as the OEM one had a display that stopped working.

So I installed a Pioneer 3200UB head unit that I bought off here. I still have mixed emotions about that head unit. All was well. UNTILL I redid my exhaust. I did a 4" turbo down pipe, 4" straight pipe, into dual 5" stacks. THEY ARE LOUD. I can barely hear my stereo now.

So I figured I would use this as a reason to upgrade. For now I will keep the head unit, untill I decided if I want to do something else.

So this is what I bought.

- Rockford Fosgate Punch 800A2 amp from this forum its 800@4ohms at mono(will be used for powering a sub)

- Massive Audio VK6 6.5" Component speakers with silk soft dome tweeters

- Massive Audio VX68 6x8 coaxial speakers with silk soft dome speakers

I am debating between an Alpine Type R 10" or 12" dual 2ohm sub or a CDT Audio QES-1220 ES 12" sub. they will be in a ported box that is inside the center jump seat of my 40/20/40 split front bench seat. there is approximately .85-1.0 cubes in there and we will be porting it. it will be similar to this one

IMG_3470.jpg

IMG_3487.jpg

am I moving in a good direction with this? the speakers I was told run very efficiently on head unit power, and have the option later to power them with an amp of their own. but for now head unit power. I am not looking to win any sound of competitions or impress the local hood rats. I just want something that sounds decent, will get loud when i turn it up, and will put a smile on my face. will this setup fill my requisites?

all this will be going into my extended cab F250, not a crew cab.

DSC_0243.jpg

DSC_0242.jpg

dont be afraid to call me a retard. i am doing this on a very tight budget. i have $310 into this setup so far before buying the sub. I am aiming at $500-$600 for the complete setup...

First off hey to a fellow CO guy and Diesel addict //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif and second do not try and squeeze a 12 in 1 cube ported... I would do one 10 sealed or an 8 ported...

I havent heard of the event since I have been out of the diesel world lately but may try and make it... For one type R's are mehhh unless its the new 8's and two a 10 unless its a Dayton or more SQ based sub will not like 1 cube ported so an 8 will be what you need if you are set on porting... You have to take into account how much sub and port displacement will subtract from the internal volume... I do like that box idea a lot though!

okay in this truck I would recommend getting 2 12in rockford shallows they fit perfect behind the 2nd row seat, and power them with a nice rockford power 500bd amp

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 PM ----------

I have a simlar setup in mine which is 2 12in shallows behind the seat on a brz1200 and the dash shakes alittle just to give u an idea on the bass

okay in this truck I would recommend getting 2 12in rockford shallows they fit perfect behind the 2nd row seat, and power them with a nice rockford power 500bd amp 

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 PM ----------

I have a simlar setup in mine which is 2 12in shallows behind the seat on a brz1200 and the dash shakes alittle just to give u an idea on the bass
with the appropriate sub and good sealed box like he has he more than likely will have more bass due to the subs not being muffled by the rear seats and the p3s is overpriced and lacks low end extention. i say a nice dayton ho would fit just fine or an fi q

ok thanks guys for the input. we are having to rethink the subs on this. we are going to go full speed with the jump seat box, but with the cubes we are getting out of it, a 8" ported is the most we can get out of that setup. i agree that the guy that gave me the idea is killing his setup with that 12 since it definitely does not have the right cubes. he said with the 12's displacement he was at .87 cubes leftover. so i know that kicker is not happy with only .87 cubes....

with my brother-in-laws enclosure program he uses we should be able to do a good 8" ported in there no sweat. 10 would be better, but will really be pushing it.

I cannot, and will say again, cannot put subs behind the back seat. there literally is no room. the seat back mounts directly to the back wall on my truck. under the back seat there is 5" clearance in front and half way back under that seat it drops to 3" then abruptly none. so under the back seat there is very little room. so the back seat option is a no go. he keeps suggesting a cube that we can put on the rear floor, and i said no because my kids are in the truck a lot. if we cannot get enough for what we want in that jump seat, i may have to do a cube for the front floor on the trans tunnel. If i go that way I could do a 10" or even a 12" depending on the actual measurements.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.