Largest subwoofers in doors ever?

Igor Kupinsky

CarAudio.com Newbie
Largest subwoofers in doors ever you see?
I read old magazines, finding component set speaker with 12'' woofers,
with 10'' sets is a very many and on ours days, Morel SW10, Dynaudio MW182, etc.
I read article about 12'' subwoofers in doors, 90s, Tacoma, champion of IASCA i guess.

Ford Econoline - woofers in his doors. What you think - what is a size? 12''?15''?
PICT4429b.jpg

PICT4429b.jpg

Ford Econoline - woofers in his doors. What you think - what is a size? 12''?15''?
Looks like a 15", but I'm with Audioholic. 1) a car door doesn't provide enough air volume to be well ported on most subs or enough rigidity (or airproofing) to be sealed. 2) subwoofers play notes that have like 10 yards of wavelength, the distance away is valuable for developing the wave, that's why people often put enclosures backwards in their trunks. 3) midbass, mid, and highs are more important for the front sound-stage because it's all more directional than sub tones, so if you're going to modify a door then all of those should be fully covered first.

Completely different than subwoofer and there's plenty of people running large PA drivers in doors. I have yet to hear any of them that sound good but it's a sure way to get incredibly loud.
Yep. The 15 in the video above appears to be a PA driver (or pro audio) based on the accordion surround.

Completely different than subwoofer and there's plenty of people running large PA drivers in doors. I have yet to hear any of them that sound good but it's a sure way to get incredibly loud.
You mean - PA drivers not sound is good, or just large woofers have got sound not good?
Audioholic midbass my guess - there are a lot of them. Morel SW9 SW10, HW9, Dynaudio MW182, MW190, Aliante (Phase Linear, Phase Evolution, Falstaff, Mac Audio) 12 Si LTD, from home - Accutone ceramic and sandwich cone, AudioTechnology (Skaaning), sometime, somebody - set this in car.

You mean - PA drivers not sound is good, or just large woofers have got sound not good?
Audioholic midbass my guess - there are a lot of them. Morel SW9 SW10, HW9, Dynaudio MW182, MW190, Aliante (Phase Linear, Phase Evolution, Falstaff, Mac Audio) 12 Si LTD, from home - Accutone ceramic and sandwich cone, AudioTechnology (Skaaning), sometime, somebody - set this in car.
subwoofers and midbass and PA midranges are ALL three completely different animals meant for different purposes and only working in specific conditions/setups.

nobody in their right minds would put subs in the front doors. Because with any kind of phase cancellation knowledge, you'd know thats an absolutely trash idea.

I just haven't heard a car with a door full of those PA drivers that sounded good. Obviously large cone drivers can sound fine basically every club, concert hall, or other large venue uses that sort of thing in the cabinets and it's not hard to find 2 way bookshelf speaker systems that use a 10 or 12" woofer + 1" tweeter that sound great.

Most PA speakers are very efficient at the cost of requiring a large enclosure. Same with home audio. Car audio is sort of the odd duck in that it has shifted to low efficiency drivers in (relatively) small enclosures because of the space limitations in vehicles.

nobody in their right minds would put subs in the front doors. Because with any kind of phase cancellation knowledge, you'd know thats an absolutely trash idea.
I believe in your`s experience, but this theme is a interesting for me, too many cars became a champions of country with subs in doors on front. From 90s to ours days.
Perhaps it's all about the settings and installation.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.