Korn4Life Recone Thread....Enjoy *Pics*

Korn4Life
5,000+ posts

SUB LOVE
PA
Ok so one of the guys from the forum here wanted me to recone his 12" IA DP.... I figured I would take pics through the whole process and share them with you.. So here we go

Here is a pic of the Basket and Motor Plus the new Recone Kit From IA

0037.jpg

The Basket had alot of the Surround and Ca Glue Left on it... I used a Flathead Screwdriver and a Hammer to get the bigger stuff off... Then used a dremel to get the rest...Here is what it looks like after the clean up

0047.jpg

There was about 3/4" of the Tensil leads still left on the connectors... Time for the Soldering Iron

0056.jpg

Here I layed everything out that I usally use while reconing a Sub

0093-1.jpg

Next I took some Duct Tape and a Piece of an Index card and folded it over and use it to clean out the gap (Very Important to do this)

0074-1.jpg

Now most people may not do this but I like to get a lil piece of sandpaper and run it around the Spiders and the underside of the Surround on the Recone Kit.. The reason is to get any loose pieces of CA glue off the spiders and to also rough it up a lil for the glue to hold to

008-1.jpg

Next thing I do is get some rubbing Alcohol and clean up the basket Lip and the spider Landing

0112-1.jpg

I then take a Manilla Folder and some index cards and make a shim for the recone to center up on... With this sub I used One Manilla Folder and 4 Index cards.. You dont want it to tight but make it tight enough that the recone dosent move all around

0122-1.jpg

Now I start to lay down the CA Glue on the Basket Lip and The spider Landing... Dont be affraid to use alot... The more the better...Within Reason..LOL

013-2.jpg

I put the recone down over the home made shim and align the tinsel leads with the speaker connectors, Once I have it on I clamp down the Surround to the Basket Lip and Put some weight on the middle of the cone.. I then hit it with a couple sprays of CA Activator..

0152.jpg

After I get this all taken care of I let it sit for 24 Hours before touching it again

Once the glue is dry I take out the shim and push the cone a lil to see if it makes any noises..

I also check the gap and see if it looks centered

0132-1.jpg

Next step is to solder the Tinsel Leads onto the Speaker connectors... Most of the Leads are a lil to long so u may have to cut them to lenght

0143-1.jpg

0153-1.jpg

Once they are good to go its time to solder them on... Im not the greatest at soldering but practice makes perfect

0162-1.jpg

Once the are all soldered on I use the Multi Meter (DMM) and check the resistence to make sure my connections are good

0172-1.jpg

018-2.jpg

Once that is done I will hook the sub up and run a few test tones through it to make sure everything is sounding ok and there isnt any scraping noises... I dont turn it up that loud as the sub still needs broke in yet .. but make sure to turn it up enough to make it move

019-1.jpg

Here is a vid I made to show that the sub is good to go.... NOTE.. The noise you here is my wall rattling and not the sub...LOL

couple questions. why doesnt the manilla folder bend all the way around the pole vent?

and are you sposed to spray the accelrator where and after the surround is down?

Once the sub is tested and everything checks out I get ready to finish it up by glueing the dustcap on...

With this model sub it has a centering disk on it so u can make sure your dustcap goes on straight... I used a lil sandpaper and roughed it up a lil to make the glue hold better... U also want to do this to the underside of the dustcap

021-1.jpg

Since this sub has the centering disk on it .. Nick at IA told me to put glue in each of the holes. that way when I put the dustcap on it will all be held together buy the glue..

022-1.jpg

I then run a nice bead around the centering disk (If your subs dosent have one then pur the glue on the dustcap)

023-1.jpg

After the glue is put on I get a piece of tape and double it over and attach to the dustcap.. I center up as best as I can by just looking at it... Put it on and align it...

024-1.jpg

Once dustcap is on I run another bead of glue on the outside of the dustcap, I then put a lil weight on it and let it sit over night and then your good to go....

025-1.jpg

And Here is the Final results....

0035-1.jpg

Well there ya go... Now im no expert but I have done a few recones in my day so I hope this Thread helps you out,, If you have any questions let me know... Thanks and have fun with your recone.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.