kickers subs and there reputation

I can't tell if you're getting upset over my computer screen, but you seem like you could relax a bit. You don't need to prove anything to anyone on the Internet about your sound system, your preferences, or if your system is "good enough".
im not upset and I shouldnt have to prove myself youre right and thank you for reminding me of this.

Ehhh Kicker has its good and bad really like any company. I own 3 kx amps some of the best amps I ever owned not best but very good clean sound and legit power. Their KS mids are actually pretty decent to my ears. Their subs get so much hate on here because there is so much competition now a days its insane. Combined with the truth that their motors are just almost nothing and even though I don't care for the sound of something like an SA when you put it next to any kicker sub I mean its literally laughable the SA is just a well built beauty that you can stare at and listen to for hours on end. No question kicker lives off the rep they made but it's fair to say there is still some good out there and it really depends on your individual goals needs wants budget etc etc... Their biggest dark horse is their 2013 compr best sounding sub they made in almost 8 years not the loudest or beefiest but not your typical crap muddy sound. So the point is Kicker gets hate here because everyone here has so much combined experience with so many other brands that aren't as popular per say as (Store Brand) but they know its good and just want to help others in making their choices. So does kicker make some good stuff yes but are they over priced and under built yes but man I say run what you like that's really all that matters its your car your money your life period.............

I think they deserve some respect.
They don't deserve any respect
Kicker built there reputation a long time ago (products where higher quality and there wasn't nearly as much competition in terms of competitor brands). There quality now a days is low, there prices hasn't adjusted to the times (overpriced), and there's many brands now a days that can humiliate their products in the same price range.

Why would I respect a company that has INTENTIONALLY made there products worst while keeping prices the same ? (not only that but doing so in an era of growing competition).

There insulting/giving a middle finger to there fan-base (we will intentionally give you a mediocre product because you will buy are name regardless........ yeah great company plan they have).

They also load up the fine print. Solo baric meant small box. Yeah about that.

Sure the square has more surface area. But they lack excurrsion. You need both. And the fine print says you need a box the size of a bigger round woofer. Absolutely pointless marketing that gets by selling way to small prefabs to unknowing customers.

I have my L5 in there suggested 3.25ft3 box which is pretty big for a 12" imo. 33hz port, i think it hits well but, on music it is a bit of a fart box and metal has almost no output. I raised the crossover point from 63hz to 80hz and still very lacking playing metal. I was thinking of redoing the box at 2.5ft3 tuned to 36hz and see what happens. This is what i love the most experimenting! I already had a 2.25ft3 at 40hz it was a great box for metal. Whats my point...i don't know....wooo

I have my L5 in there suggested 3.25ft3 box which is pretty big for a 12" imo. 33hz port, i think it hits well but, on music it is a bit of a fart box and metal has almost no output. I raised the crossover point from 63hz to 80hz and still very lacking playing metal. I was thinking of redoing the box at 2.5ft3 tuned to 36hz and see what happens. This is what i love the most experimenting! I already had a 2.25ft3 at 40hz it was a great box for metal. Whats my point...i don't know....wooo
No point needed, thanks for Sharing and yeah I like to play too. I constantly change set ups - it's just one of my little hobbies for me , good luck with that and around here the advice that most people give is can the kickers, lol. That's why I started the thread too. Cause if one needs help, help the fella out instead of crappin on his subs, lol. Like someone said in this thread , these guys are simply too experienced with high quality and competition and I get it and am still glad to be part of this community. I think most of us start with brands like kickers, mtx, pioneer , rf, etc etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

instead of doing the whole box again, add some wood blocks inside to take up airspace and shrink port area if you can. The fart boxness is mainly attributed to the port IMO.

You know i did think of that but, i'd have to shorten the port length to keep the tuning from going low after i take up space. That coupled with the fact the port area is 15.8 and i wanted to try 11 or 12 with the design change. I've got a sheet of 3/4 mdf sitting in the garage i'll just make a new box. Thanks for the suggestion tho. Guess i'm kinda looking to get the combination down of being able to play metal without sacrificing to much low end output.

You know i did think of that but, i'd have to shorten the port length to keep the tuning from going low after i take up space. That coupled with the fact the port area is 15.8 and i wanted to try 11 or 12 with the design change. I've got a sheet of 3/4 mdf sitting in the garage i'll just make a new box. Thanks for the suggestion tho. Guess i'm kinda looking to get the combination down of being able to play metal without sacrificing to much low end output.
just see how it reacts with a higher tuning, sometimes you dont lose that much low end either once you reduce port area.

Its sure as hell better than redoing a whole box.

That's not a large box for a 12" that's a too-small box for what is essentially the cone area of a round 15. Get that joker in 4-5 cube tune higher and see what it does for you.

I did forget the Comp R. I saw a guy running those a couple years back at a few shows and they were really impressive for their class. They did really sound good.

Also Kicker actually does their own R&D on amps. Which forum boner company does that? Nobody, that's who (except maybe Brazilians). They call just call China/Korea and ask what 20 year old amp design they can slap a brand name on.

Let's wait until one of the popular companies who sells "5K" amps actually designs their own something new before we **** on companies that still actually do R&D (like Kicker, Alpine, Rockford, etc.).

Ok so sounds like the consensus is i don't reduce the size of the box which i wanted to do cause i'm over powering the sub by 100 watts. But just bring the port tuning up and reduce port area to rid the fartyness? I was thinking the size was giving me the big boomy fart box but, it's more the port area huh?

Ok so sounds like the consensus is i don't reduce the size of the box which i wanted to do cause i'm over powering the sub by 100 watts. But just bring the port tuning up and reduce port area to rid the fartyness? I was thinking the size was giving me the big boomy fart box but, it's more the port area huh?
yup. They arent high excursion subs, the need for port area is a lot less vs high Xmax subs like the DSS ethos.

That's not a large box for a 12" that's a too-small box for what is essentially the cone area of a round 15. Get that joker in 4-5 cube tune higher and see what it does for you.
I did forget the Comp R. I saw a guy running those a couple years back at a few shows and they were really impressive for their class. They did really sound good.

Also Kicker actually does their own R&D on amps. Which forum boner company does that? Nobody, that's who (except maybe Brazilians). They call just call China/Korea and ask what 20 year old amp design they can slap a brand name on.

Let's wait until one of the popular companies who sells "5K" amps actually designs their own something new before we **** on companies that still actually do R&D (like Kicker, Alpine, Rockford, etc.).
DD and incriminator.

DD and incriminator.
DD amps are pretty much the same as everything else. Splitting the board in half and mounting power supply and output section on top of eachother isn't a new design, it's just a different layout of the same old class D circuit that ALL of those companies use.

*edit*

Not knocking either. I'd run either and be happy, but they're just calling up the Korean sweatshop saying (give me a 5K board with _____ slight modifications)

These do not compare to the companies like JL, Alpine, MMatts, Zapco, etc. that do their own R&D and have actual new designs.

playing around and tweaking a current design vs rebuilding the architecture from the ground up is totally different. Brazilians are the way to the affordable and high power output future whoot whoot!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.