Kicker L7s

xpl0it
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
everywhere
I currently am running a thunder 9512 in a snailshell with 1500 watts going to it and it gets pretty goddang loud but the amazing thing is the SQ from it. It hits just about everything with precision and gets nasty loud. Well I'm thinking about upgrading, and my choices I think are either spending an additional amount to get another 9500, snailshell, and 1501d, or I'm thinking of going with 2 15" 2006 L7s hooked up to an orion 2500D in a box that would allow me to hit some lows (i love the 32-38hz area) but also hit what L7s do well (42-50hz from what I've listened to). What are some experiences you guys have had with 15" L7s, I know they'll get loud, but will the SQ be absolute crap?

Any L7 will give you absolutely horrible SQ. I've had experience with them. Went with JL afterwards, couldn't be happier.

Would that experience be buying a prefab box and throwing them in your vehicle b/c if your going to say they have horrible Sq you dont seem to know its 90% install 10% product and L7's have won Sq comps.

if theres certain enclosures that make the kicker sound real good, why doesnt someone make that type as a prefab? is it because diff people woudl want different tunnings of ported? (im lookin for a ported box for my l5 myself)

Any L7 will give you absolutely horrible SQ. I've had experience with them. Went with JL afterwards, couldn't be happier.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Dont pay any attention to him. Gonna be up to two red dots pretty soon //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Pre-fab boxes are just boxes put together to make a profit, not to make anyone happy with the output...

But as to L7's having horrible SQ, yes it is all in the install. Kicker has come in first in many SQ competitions, some using L7's in the install...

If you want more output, go for the L7's. If you want an enclosure that will have them sound good and dont know how to design it then pay someone for a design.

if theres certain enclosures that make the kicker sound real good, why doesnt someone make that type as a prefab? is it because diff people woudl want different tunnings of ported? (im lookin for a ported box for my l5 myself)
because many people would just think the sub was why it sounded awesome and the box did nothing, it cost more in wood, labor and shipping, most people dont give a **** how it sounds as long as its loud.

i dont understand why everybody knocks the sq of the kickers. I had a kicker l7 15 in a 4.0 cu tuned to 35ish and its sounded really good. I dont care what driver you have if you tune it to 40-50 hz its going to sound like crap.

i dont understand why everybody knocks the sq of the kickers. I had a kicker l7 15 in a 4.0 cu tuned to 35ish and its sounded really good. I dont care what driver you have if you tune it to 40-50 hz its going to sound like crap.
Exactly, and many prefab L7 boxes are very small and tunes high (along with most prefabs... )

So in all honesty. Suppose I make this box work, i make it with ideal space (have about 6-8 cubes to work with) and I want to tune it around 28-34hz, whatever will get me the best balance of SQ and SPL, and with the power coming from a 2500D, would most of you believe this has potential to sound good and get loud at the same time. I just want something that will satisfy my needs for SPL, my 9500 is very loud to all my friends/peers, but I'm psychotic about how much I want/need and I don't want to sacrifice the SQ to achieve it. I know I'm obviously going to miss the broad range of frequencies I can hit now, but 2 15" L7s to me seems like they could move a lot of air. If I go with the L7s though, I think I'd either run the 2 15"s, 2 12"s, or 4 10s (that would be interesting).

I would of thought 9500's would of been louder then l7's imo never really messed around with 9500's but i would go with a another 9500

so u guys think finding a prefab box with a good amount of volume tunned low around 30 Hz would sound good? (sorry for askin questions in your thread man)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.