Kicker KX1200 protection mode issues

LongThrow

My Kickers be swaggin'
Hello, it's been awhile since I have posted in this forum. I am currently being plagued in protection mode.

05 Camry

Big 3 0g, stock electrical

4g nvx amp kit

Kicker 04kx1200

Kenwood Kdc bt-365u

Sundown Audio Zv3 12

I just purchased this zv3 12 and built a custom 2 cf box tuned to 34hz. Coils read 1.9 each, wired to 1 ohm final.

Previously, I had this Kicker kx1200 on two type r 12s, they performed very well. I sold the subs, and put my amp back in storage (in my closet back in its original box)

I just purchased this zv3 12 and built a custom 2 cf box tuned to 34hz. Coils read 1.9 each, wired to 1 ohm final. I hook everything up, and notice my amplifier is going into protect mode around 20/35, depending on what song is playing.

The amplifier makes a loud 'click' noise whenever it gets triggered into protection mode, and it will continuously keep clicking as it is continuously going in and out of protect mode. I can also hear a 'click' from the sub as this is happening. My lights also dim pretty hard whenever the amp clicks. I decided to swap RCAs, as I had a new pair of SounDrive's I wanted to install. Didn't help, so I checked all my connections, power, ground, etc. Everything is fine. No shorts or grounding out anywhere.

Voltage at the amp is 12.67 idle, REM voltage is 11.60. I hook the kicker amp up to my buddies Memphis Mojos, and it plays fine for 20 minutes straight. He has a Rockford Prime 1200, and I hook it up to my zv3. It does the same thing, except when it goes into protect, it doesnt go out of protect whenever I lower the volume like my Kicker amp does, the headunit has to be turned off and turned back on.

I will provide more details if needed, please help me remedy this problem!

Yup, gramps is correct. Prob running that amp into 1 ohm, which it doesn't like and isn't capable of it. Re-wire the sub to present a 4 ohm load to the amp and it should be better. But now your not getting the amps' full power output from it, just partial.

I wish it was the case, but no the kx series, atleast 1200, is 1 ohm stable. You're probably thinking of the zx series.

I did an amp swap with a 1 ohm stable amp, an rf prime 1200, and suffered the same problem. I was running my type rs on this kicker amp 1 ohm final for 6 months dsily, not so much as even an overheat issue - no problems whatsoever.

If it’s one ohm stable I’d get your battery tested. Could be that amp is not a fan of under 12v also and is going into protect long enough to cool off and try to come back on.

I might go throw a fresh cheapo battery in there to narrow things done - but the amp isnt going into protect when it gets hot simply because it hardly ever does get warm. I believe im experiencing a voltage drop somewhere.

I also suspect this zv3 to have been reconed, can a botched recone job cause this problem?

If it’s one ohm stable I’d get your battery tested. Could be that amp is not a fan of under 12v also and is going into protect long enough to cool off and try to come back on.
I hooked my dmm up to the power and ground on my terminals, stereo on, no music playing, shows 13.6 volts. I turn the volume uo and it stays strady at 13.6, i get close to 20/35 and it starts its loop of going in and out of protect mode, dmm is shlwing 13.1 as it enters protect mode.

If your friends Rockford amp is stable to one own I don't think you're paying enough attention to the fact that his amp is shutting off when hooked up to your speaker

He has an older 2004 kx1200 which is a 1 ohm amp. So for the fact that your amp and your friends amp both go into protect mode it tells me it's not the amp. Either the subwoofer is not reading correctly or it's your wiring. I would hook his mojos up in your car and see if your amp goes into protect. I feel it's the ZV3

He has an older 2004 kx1200 which is a 1 ohm amp. So for the fact that your amp and your friends amp both go into protect mode it tells me it's not the amp. Either the subwoofer is not reading correctly or it's your wiring. I would hook his mojos up in your car and see if your amp goes into protect. I feel it's the ZV3
I pulled sub out to do some more testing, on the side that has 8g binding posts, is reading 1 ohm. The coil that has the 4ga binding posts is reading 2 ohm

oh yeah if u got 2 amps doing it something else is wrong., check sub..
Yes swapped subs and the other subd worked fine on both amps

If your friends Rockford amp is stable to one own I don't think you're paying enough attention to the fact that his amp is shutting off when hooked up to your speaker
Well, actually, that is exactly the point im trying to make, that its not my amp.

Where/how is the gain set on the amp?

Inadequate power/ground wire for the amp...not the recommended gauge.

How is your ground? bare metal to bare metal?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.