Kicker 500si

Participant count
  • Participant list

jco1385
5,000+ posts

expert jcologist
Mobile, AL
I picked this amp up on CL about a week ago. When I saw it, I noticed that the POS input was burnt and obviously has been quite hot. I was skeptical as shit, but didn't have any tools to test it. Bought it anyways (for a good price //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/greedy.gif.5a53e6246569d7ab79867170f3b06629.gif). Dude seemed cool, and guaranteed it would work.

Anyways, I hooked it up on Saturday in my 95 Marquis. 2ga welding cable. Pushing an IDMAX 12 @ 4 ohms on one coil (the other is coil is bad). Well it does power on, and it will rock the shit out of the sub. After about 2min, it is so hot you can't touch it. The gain was a little past half (the gain pot seems sticky/twitchy also).

What do you guys think? I cracked it open to see if the inside looked ok. It looks fine. I honestly don't think it's ever been open before. Should I live drive my RCA to boost the voltage and keep the gain down? Is the amp damaged?

Last edited by a moderator:
Turn the gain down and see if it still gets that hot. If you turn the gain down and boost the input voltage it will still get hot. A gain knob is not a thermostat adjustment. You need to try to get this amp to produce less power to make it run cooler.

I know how a gain works. I figured a higher voltage input would create less work for it. It gets hot regardless. I have it way down and it's still hot. It doesn't put out much of anything until you get the gain up towards 2/3.

It's not putting out anywhere near it's rated 850 @ 4 and I can cook bacon on it.

if its a class A/B(i beleive it is) they naturally run hot. MUCH hotter than class D amps. im too lazy to look up the amp, but it should have thermal protect. as long as its not going into thermal it is fine.

Matt

20130927_181004_zpsfde4e7f9.jpg

20130927_181025_zps9cd41e29.jpg

20130927_182029_zpse0499588.jpg

So it's just bad engineering? I can see that. I also thought having a bare wire POS input that close to the chassis was bad engineering.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.