Keep or lose factory sub and amp? Can I run the factory sub + amp and install a aftermarket sub + amplifier or is better to just remove it? 2005 Ford

Participant count
  • Participant list
Keep or lose factory sub and amp? Can I run the factory sub + amp and install a aftermarket sub + amplifier or is better to just remove it? 2005 Ford Territory Ghia
If you do not want to alter the vehicle's components for fear of diminishing value, I would leave it. Oem sub and amp combos are usually unintrusive, so I do not think they are in the way of your new install. The amp may also be a five channel, therefore making removal null. If it only powers the sub, I would disconnect it and use it's signal supply for the new amp. If it is a 5 channel, I would use the sub output as the signal source.

Keep or lose factory sub and amp? Can I run the factory sub + amp and install a aftermarket sub + amplifier or is better to just remove it? 2005 Ford Territory Ghia
I would leave it so long as it's not majorly in the way. The way they're put together at the factory it's usually a standard OEM head unit going into an aftermarket amp, so no change to the OEM radio apart from where the wires go. Because of this I'd say the OEM amplifier outputs are superior in every way than the high level signals going to it. The only concern is that your LOC is able to handle the wattage coming out of its high level outputs. If you get an LC2i or similar audiocontrol product it'll handle 400W, which exceeds anything an OEM amp will put out.

As for the subwoofer, it could be nice for playing some of the mid-bass frequencies, I don't think it's hurting anything but make sure you factor that into your box tuning if you decide to keep it. You don't want two speakers in the trunk canceling each other. I suspect that you'll also get more gain than the average person by experimenting with reverse polarity and regular polarity for the most sound on higher bass notes. It could become a headache, but it's worth trying with and without it connected if nothing else.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.