Just Wondering?

Participant count
  • Participant list

gumby688
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Hey guys first post on these fourms. I went to my first show today as a competitor. Did a 136.5 on music, 138.1 on a 47Hz tone but wasnt allowed due to my class, with 2- 12in Fosgate p1 subs(4ohm) in 1.187 CuFt sealed box running stereo on a 1997 Fosgate 125.2 Punch amp am wondering how good that is for the equpiment I have and how much better you think I could do with a few tweaks. Box fires rearward in 2000 ford explorer sport.

switch to a ported box and you will prob gain a little. Really need to upgrade to better subs and amp though for big #s

switch to a ported box and you will prob gain a little. Really need to upgrade to better subs and amp though for big #s
^^THIS HERE^^ Go ported,and firing upwards will be better,and deaden the cab too..IMO

Rebel yeah I know a ported box will pick me up a few db's but for everyday listening I really like the sound of a sealed box. I have a very old Fosgate Power 1000 amp was bought by a friend of mine brand new in 1991 it dont power up anymore was kind of wondering if it would be worth getting repaired I have had it sitting up in my attic for the last 11 years heh I never throw anything away.Dont have a ton of money to throw at this project have less that 500$ in my system right now.

Rebel yeah I know a ported box will pick me up a few db's but for everyday listening I really like the sound of a sealed box. I have a very old Fosgate Power 1000 amp was bought by a friend of mine brand new in 1991 it dont power up anymore was kind of wondering if it would be worth getting repaired I have had it sitting up in my attic for the last 11 years heh I never throw anything away.Dont have a ton of money to throw at this project have less that 500$ in my system right now.
Ported boxes can sound just as good if not better when made properly.

Audio I have deadened the back half of the truck so far up to the back of the rear seats both sides, rear hatch, and roof. my first run I had the subs firing up and did a 135.2 2nd run I faced them to the rear and hit the 136.5 box was directly behind rear seats for both runs. I guess my main question is for the setup I have am I in the right neighborhood at 136.5.

That was one of RF finest amps ever made,and one of the most powerful..I would at least see what it would cost to get it repaired..you could always sell it later on to a collector too..There will always be a collector of old school amps:)

Rebel will go up and dig the amp out of the attic in the morning and snap some pics(wife tends to get moody when I rumaged through my junk right above our bedroom at 3am) I do know its the early model the one before they put the led's on one end was one of the first built my buddy picked it up at Cardenal Car stereo in Phx,Az ordered it and 2 18in RF power series subs spent 4600 bucks in like 20 mins lol.Funny thing is I seen Mike Jaffe (owner of Cardenal and an old school Iasca guy) at a IASCA event about 5-6 years ago and he still remebers us coming in and odering that addition to a system they had put in my friends k-5 blazer( 4-10's 2-12's and 2 sets of 5 1/4 componenets in the doors running on 2 punch 150's and a punch 45) about 2 weeks before thought we were insane at the time lol

Hey guys first post on these fourms. I went to my first show today as a competitor. Did a 136.5 on music, 138.1 on a 47Hz tone but wasnt allowed due to my class, with 2- 12in Fosgate p1 subs(4ohm) in 1.187 CuFt sealed box running stereo on a 1997 Fosgate 125.2 Punch amp am wondering how good that is for the equpiment I have and how much better you think I could do with a few tweaks. Box fires rearward in 2000 ford explorer sport.
If you're doing a 138.1 on a burp with that kind of set up, you're doing something right. It has some potential forreal. If you really get serious into competing, get a meter. So you could do just like that guy did on smd forum, it was called spl gains. He took a sub, started out at like 138, got it up at 145. Just by little things.

If not, build a nice ported box, should easily see a gain from that alone, round every corner, and the port if you don't do aeros. Should land you easily 140's on music.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.