Just wondering if I have the proper amp for my Solos Baric L7

Participant count
  • Participant list

M01nar

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have a pioneer AVH521EX head unit and a cxa 2400.1 Kicker amp pushing a single solo baric Kicker L7 12. My issue (question) is:
1. Is this amp too much for that particular speaker?
2. When I really turn up my stereo and try to get it going my trucks voltmeter drops like crazy and lights start dimming sub starts clipping. I have just got the wiring for the big 3. I drive a 02 tahoe 105a alternator...so will this upgrade allow me to push the 12 more...or is the amp too much...1200w rms. Gain is all the way down 2 ohm impedance

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200627-131131_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200627-131131_Chrome.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 240
  • Screenshot_20200627-131325_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200627-131325_Chrome.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 235
Way too much amp for an L7 (and your electrical system apparently). L7 is realistically a 1000W sub, beyond that you're pushing your luck, and 1000W is about the cutoff where you'll want to start to add additional batteries or proper high output alternator to run things safely.

Let me also add if you're using some prefab box for an L7 you're selling yourself short. The square kicker subs can go pretty good if you put them in a bit more airspace.

yes its too much amp if you blindly max out the output. You need to find out where the sub is happy gain settings wise. You dont need to use all that power, its good to have some on tap so that you never clip your signal. Check on the subwoofer cone for heat regularly and continue lowering the gain or sub level if its burning hot or smelly. if its room temperature or just very slightly warm with zero coil smell even after a long pound session, you are at a good spot. Also get an in dash voltmeter, set the gains so your voltage stay above 12.0v its like 20 bucks on amazon for a stinger voltmeter. connect the positive and negative to your amp directly so you see what voltages the amp sees in real time.

As stated earlier throw that prefab box away and build a real box. Those prefabs are choking your L7s that need literally double the size for any kind of real bass, otherwise you are literally getting 40% performance from that sub at best. Like no lie, an L7 in proper box and only 500 watts would smoke your current prefab box setup on that cxa 2.4k

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.