Just thought about something with gain settings...

Participant count
  • Participant list

Why So Cereal?
5,000+ posts

Invisible Cereal
I can understand setting your mids and high's gains with a 0db test tone since when I look at music in audacity, it will reach up to 0db (mostly in the tweeter region though); but wouldnt it be best to use say a -5db test tone for setting your sub amp gain? Since the bass in the song never seems to go past about that point? or am I missing something here?

I've never "properly" set my gains with a DMM or an o-scope always done by ear and was just wondering if this might help me out a bit.

it will make it louder on your bass side but 9/10 times your already into non audible clipping set at 0db, -5 will make it worse and may become audible. I'm not a fan of setting your gains with a Dmm I prefer an oscope.

it will make it louder on your bass side but 9/10 times your already into non audible clipping set at 0db, -5 will make it worse and may become audible. I'm not a fan of setting your gains with a Dmm I prefer an oscope.
I'm thinking about using an oscope to set my gains. I was doing some research and seeing about 5db overlap and 10db overlap and stuff and it seemed to make sense until I pulled up some tracks i listen to in audacity. and was seeing that some tracks will actually peak at 0db on the highs for the most part but when I did a LPF at 100hz, the bass never seemed to reach that high

get a DD1 and never look back. You set your HU with 0db and amps with -5, -10, or -15 depending on what you want. Set burps for 0db
ok that makes sense I can see setting your HU with 0db. But then with amps, wouldnt 0db be good for mids and highs? since that seems to be where most of my music peaks....then maybe like -5 on the lows.

I'll look into that DD1 too

The tool is the load
so if I chose to set them with a DMM does that still apply? I know JL audio says not to use an amp load but isnt that because of the regulated power supply, the load isnt needed? so on an amp w/o a regulated power supply, would a load be needed or would it not matter either way?

so if I chose to set them with a DMM does that still apply? I know JL audio says not to use an amp load but isnt that because of the regulated power supply, the load isnt needed? so on an amp w/o a regulated power supply, would a load be needed or would it not matter either way?
JL is VERY conservative. They say 75% HU volume. My deck dont clip on the sub out and only clips one click from full volume on the fronts. It works on all amps and really makes everything blend better. My **** has never sounded better. You have to follow the guide step by step. I was so stuck on the 75% thing i blew my **** tweeters when I first used it.

JL is VERY conservative. They say 75% HU volume. My deck dont clip on the sub out and only clips one click from full volume on the fronts. It works on all amps and really makes everything blend better. My **** has never sounded better. You have to follow the guide step by step. I was so stuck on the 75% thing i blew my **** tweeters when I first used it.
So you set yours up with the DD1 or DMM? I think I'm gonna try the DMM method since the closest known oscope to me is gonna cost me $150 (including speaker installs and all)

When I looked at one of my synthetic bass tracks "Bass mechanic" IIRC, Audacity lit that track up with so much red I was surprised there was no audible clipping in the recording.

I set my gain @ 0db and 75%. Per the instructions. I still have another 25% on the dial for tracks that are recorded a little low. (Or just to work the sub on a well recorded track.)

If I were seeking maximum output for a competition or something like that, I would set up the amp, sub, and enclosure within an inch of their lives. If I had the option of using my own music, I would use production software to bring the track up to just about 0db.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.