Just started to hump........Looking for help

smokeum99ta
10+ year member

One of my subs just started to thump everytime I use something electrical in the truck. Whether its turning on the lights , opening the door, hitting a bump in the road. I took loose all of my grounds wires and cleaned them very well and made sure everything is tight and still have the same thump. I even tried moving the grounds to another location but nothing changed. Right now the amps are ground to studs that come off the floor to hold down the seats. Any ideas on what to do???TIA

it honestly sounds like a bad ground man, if you had a short, you would blow something, whether it be the amp or a fuse. thats what shorts do.

It really sounds like a ground.

I have heard several people say that grounding to seat bolts is not a good thing to do. If that seat bolt is only hooked into the body, and not the chassis. One thing you might try is running another ground cable. From your battery, to your body. Also keeping the factory one where it is. But find another place for your second one.

If you are grounding your amp into your body, and you add one from the battery to the body, then you will then create a second ground loop and the amp will be grounded properly.

Let me know what you find out

I had the same problem with both my subs up until yesterday, I just ground my RCA's from the HU and now Im good to go. I even brought some new RCA's for 30 bucks, and Im still pissed. But anyway does it still give that 'thump' noise with the RCA out of the amp? But just take some speaker wire wrap it around your RCA output and ground it to the deck somehow. Hope this works

Alright today had some time to mess with things today. Replaced the cheap rca cables that I had linking the amps. Well the thump didn't sound as bad but is still there. I narrowed it down to which speaker it was coming from. I have three amps in the truck 1 4x whatever powering mids and highs and two mono amps powering a sub a piece. Well one of the subs were thumping. I found that the amp which was getting the second set of rcas would make the speaker that it was powering thump. I have rcas coming from the head unit into one of the mono amps then from that one to the other. So I switched the speaker wire with the sub that was thumping to the one that wasn't. I found that no matter which amp was receiving the rcas first from the head unit would work fine but then when used rcas of either amp the amp that recieved the second set of rcas would make the speaker that it was powering thump (didn't matter which speaker i used). Any ideas????????????? And yes I moved my grounds around, and cleaned every connection up that they contacted.

Still having the thump noise. This time I decided to ground the back of the head unit rca's outputs with some stripped copper wire. Nothing changed. But I noticed that when I touched the end of the rca cable with my finger that the speakers would thump. Could this mean that I need another set of rca cables? Or does anyone have another idea?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.