Just installed my Tempest (pics)

DDDD
10+ year member

dddd
I just built the box for my tempest today.

The box specs are 4 ft^3 sealed stuffed with 32oz polyfill. My old setup was a JL Audio 10W7 in 1.5 ft^3 ported tuned to 33hz. Both are driven with a JL Audio 500/1.

My problems with the 10W7 were basically that I couldn't get the combination of SPL and SQ that I wanted out of it no matter what box or location it was in. This would be acceptable for a lesser driver but this is supposed to be one of the best and I expected more out of the $400 that I paid. It ended up that I had to clip the signal to the W7 to get the SPL that I wanted out of the setup and that wasn't acceptable to me.

I put the Tempest in my car and ran some sine waves to it. I tuned the amp to put out 54 volts at my "loud" listening position (40/50 on the HU). 54 volts is the max unclipped signal the 500/1 can put out and stay under 1% THD. I verified all of these numbers with a Fluke 43 Power Quality Analyzer. This equates to roughly 729 watts to the Tempest with the dual 8 ohm voice coils in parallel.

Some pics of both boxes and drivers are below.

New VS Old

new_vs_old.jpg

Closer Up

tempest_vs_w7.jpg

Internal Box Bracing

tempest_box_bracing.jpg

Altogether the speaker and the box weigh 81 lbs.

So how does it sound you ask?

Well my first impression was the SQ was exactly the same as what I was getting out of my W7, actually I liked it a little better. It had a much flatter response without the low-end dropoff that I'm used to. The Tempest is just as loud at 24 hz as it is at 35 hz, and to me this was SEVERELY lacking in the W7 in both sealed and ported applications.

The SPL was about the same to me. Considering I was feeding my W7 almost a square wave at 70 volts RMS I am much happier about the quality of the SPL that I'm getting with the Tempest. I also noticed the Tempest had much greater impact accuracy than my W7 did. My W7 seemed pretty sloppy at things like double bass but the Tempest does it much, much better.

I'm sure that I could do better with a 13W7 than my 10W7 but in all honesty I don't see the point of spending about 5x as much when I can get the sound quality and SPL that I really like out of one $150 driver.

When I get some more money I plan on putting a Brahma 15" in the same box and filling it with some wooden blocks to lower the internal volume, but that isn't for a while.

Sorry about the no in-car pics yet. Most of the work I've been able to do outside on my car has been at night, so I haven't snapped any. I'll get some tomorrow and repost on this thread.

if your put that sub in a 4 cube box and tune it to about 27 hz it will realy knock your socks off trust me.... 4 cubes is a bit big 4 the kind of power your sending to it sealed be real careful

like i have said many times i will run my tempest against w7's anytime

tell me what you think of the kick drums this sub produces it is amazing when i listen to rock with a solid kick drum it feels like some one is kicking me in the back.... another brick in the wall is a good one for that

Here are some updated pics.

Another thing is I forgot to turn my infrasonic filter off when switching from my ported W7 to my sealed Tempest so now it really REALLY kills at low frequency. I had it set at 24db/octave @ 27hz before and thought it had a good frequency response. Big difference now though!

Setup:

tempest_setup_in_car.jpg

From the side:

tempest_setup_in_car_from_side.jpg

What I use to play music:

ipod_setup.jpg

Yes, yes you can.

The hatch only likes to stay open in the summertime. I figure if the only thing that's gone wrong in 11 years and 270k miles is the hatch struts then I can deal with having to use a broken ice scraper as a prop.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.