just got 2 15 L7s now i need an amp

Also, is that plot for an output curve @ 35hz, it looks a lot higher.....
If SPL is your main objective, get 10's or 12's instead.

I personally tried tuning my 15's @ 42hz, and i hate them, they have no output compared to 12's tuned in the 40's. Tune 32 or 33hz in 4.5, or get 12's if you want SPL tuning, trust me, i made the same mistake. The 15's naturally want to play in the 30's to the extent where notes in the mid 30's are STILL louder than notes in the 40's and 50's despite being in a box tuned to 42hz, they don't want to play that high.
so you're trying to tell me that i made a mistake getting 15s? that doesn't make sense. what get 10s or 12s, 12s maybe but i would never **** with 10s thats just me. the total cone area of my 15s is 450 sq. in. and the are of two 12s would be 288 sq.in. so why would two 12s be more SPL oriented if my 15 would have more cone are and would also handle more power?

Also... just want to throw in my 2 cents here. I, whenever possable, prefer to run subs off the same amp. I do this becuase:1. No Phase matching

2. No line matching

3 No voltage or "gain" matching

4. As they age, you wont have to adjust all over again as the amps wear

I would just run them on a XX-Colossus II. You can wire the subs together for a 2ohm load, be getting 3200W to the pair. I mean 1600W a piece is nice, not overloading them TOO much. If you push as much power to them as you are thinking then if they blow, they might do so in such a way that overpowering is apperent and voids your warranty. Plus the amp will only cost you 750. If you have money to spair, and you can easily replace the sub, then overpower them as much as you want. I wouldnt go much more then what I said though. All IMO of coarse though. Dont forget to send me a link when you build your box either!
i would too rather one just one amp, but the thing is i dont wanna wait to save up for a colossus($750). i still gotta build the box for the plans you gave me but once i do i don't wanna have to wait. i could just build the box and since they are in seperate chambers i could get one BXi2006D for $360 and have some what of a system until i get money to buy another one instead of haveing to wait any longer. by the way will running only one sub while both are in a box mess with the other sub?

no, thats the beauty of a box like the plans i gave you, its got a center divide so you should be good to go. Glad to see someone came to my defense against... those who will remain nameless. what were your imp. again on those subs?

so you're trying to tell me that i made a mistake getting 15s? that doesn't make sense. what get 10s or 12s, 12s maybe but i would never **** with 10s thats just me. the total cone area of my 15s is 450 sq. in. and the are of two 12s would be 288 sq.in. so why would two 12s be more SPL oriented if my 15 would have more cone are and would also handle more power?
No, the only mistake i made was trying to tune my 15's the same way i had my old 12's tuned. L7 15's sound great.

I already explained the 12" vs. 15" comment, it's simply a case of more motor per surface area on the 12" model compared to the 15", i even quoted polecat telling someone 12's were favorable to SPL over the 15's ^^^^, it's true.

On the same coin, i could say that the 15's are WAY better suited for street beats competition than the 12's, but for DBDRAG, the 12's have the edge.

They're both great speakers, just for different uses.

That's all. I just overlooked the post that said you were tuning to 34hz initially, wasn't trying to start a problem, honest.

would you be able to exchange the subs for the dual 4 ohm models? if you did then you have alot more Good options for amplifiers. Like a XX-Hercules wired to 1ch. @ 1ohm X 2000w RMS

no i can't exchange them.

i wanna run two amps because1. i will be able to get a system sooner

2. 2 amps was my original plan

3. i don't mind gain matching

4. it will be cheaper and have more watts 4000 at $640 as opposed to 3200 at $740

5. i want the subs to get full potential since towncar let me know that the 06 L7s he has can handle 2000 rms daily.

6. i got the dual 2 ohm because this way each can be wire down to 1 ohm for each amp or together to 2 ohms for a colossus

they can handle it.
I just put a single zx1500.1 kicker amp on my 2 06s15L7's and i am in love.

I put them in a 10 cube box tuned to 33. you are going to be very happy.

I find that the amp pushes them VERY well and its anly around 500 bucks. birth sheet is over 1700 RMS at 2 ohm

BTW i did my big 3 with 1/0, i installed a 240 amp alt and two yellow tops and I STILL dont think its enough power to feed the amps and subs. I get a 2 point voltage drop when i really hit on it.

GL to ya

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

talon2nr7588

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
talon2nr7588
Indiana
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date