Jl w7 10" and 1000/1 setup PLEASE HELP!!!!

Participant count
  • Participant list
Okay I have had a jl 1000/1 amp (older model the v1) and I just had it on a sundown sub on low gain until I found a w7 or something more powerful. I recently found a w7 10" 3 ohm in a sealed box for dirt cheap but It has a crack in the "dust cap". It doesn't go all the way through so it's not a problem for now. Okay so I hooked up the w7 and put the gain about 1/2 and I'm getting it to play, but the bass is like fading in and out and won't hit some notes. Especially when volume is higher. Is this the sub/amp clipping???Bad settings or bad box maybe?? Also the speaker wire i have right now until i get more is really ****** so this might be it.I don't know how to adjust this amp because there is like 50 settings. Does anyone know what's going on? Anyone have this setup and know how to adjust this amp correctly? Please let me know if you even have any idea or suggestions! Thanks

Yeah I just had it on a sundown sa 12 and I turned the gain down to less than half and it was fine. I don't think anything should've changed all I adjusted was the gain up. The sub sounds fine until I turn the volume up on deck then the sound starts fading in and out. Like I said the wires are really bad cause they weren't long enough so I had to splice 2 together until I get different speaker wire. This could be the problem idk. I have a kenwood deck that has all the sub settings and everything. I'm thinking the problem is some sort of clipped signal or bad settings or maybe it's the box, because its just a small sealed box maybe it needs more room. If you know anything with the settings I'd like to know

Hows your electrical( power wire size, battery, alternator) because the slash series automatically cut output in half if the voltage drops too low

JL amps are current hogs with all their fancy equal output across all ohm load feature. Upgrade to the largest wire you can (preferably 0 gauge) and do the big 3 and see if it fixes your problems. Also make sure your amp's ground is good and get GOOD connections on all your wires.

Ill try to redo my connections and see what that does. But that doesn't make sense if the amp was working great before with this 4 gauge and I barely turned up gain that it would change and I need 0 gauge... It could be something simple idk I'm just hoping for someone with the same setup to give me good settings to put at

I redid connections and it doesn't seem to really be fading as much but it doesn't really sound right and randomly its completely loosing power. The amp is still powered on tho. Seems to me now like its either a problem with the electrical system or the sub.

Try leaving the gain set at the same level that you have the W7 set at then swap in the SA 12. From what I have heard I would think the SA 12 can take more of a beating then that W7. I would run the SA 12 with the same gain settings (assuming you have your gain set correctly) for a while and see if you have the same issue.

Is your vehicle running while playing the system? Maybe you are having too much voltage drop, especially if you have a bit of a weak battery and just don’t know it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.