Jl w6 blew need help!!

Participant count
  • Participant list

dre707

I own 2 jl audio w6v2d4 but recently it wasnt sounding good and i thought it was my box that became loose ao i took it down and pulled the subs out and what do i see?? One of my subs rubber surround was torn up and when i push the sub in and out it makes a scratchy noise so im guessing its done :( now i just ordered a jl  sub 12W3v3-4 to take its place now my question is its being powered by a Polk Audio PA D1000.1 Class D amp . Now my question is would i be ok to power both with that amp or should i have a separate one for each sub since each requires different wattage?

Last edited by a moderator:
return the w3 back, you dont want to run different models of subs, thats the biggest noob mistake you can make with subs. Never different sized subs and never different model subs, thats how you cause cancellation and massive distortion. ewww.  

You blew the original from either playing too low and clipping the sub from dirty power, pretty much you wanted more but you cranked the amp past its clean limits. 

:( man now im stressed out!! Im currently trying to cancel my purchase and have it sent back to seller ill cross my finger!! What if i put them in separate boxes with separate amps would that work out or still not a good idea? Ahh wtf did i do! !

:( man now im stressed out!! Im currently trying to cancel my purchase and have it sent back to seller ill cross my finger!! What if i put them in separate boxes with separate amps would that work out or still not a good idea? Ahh wtf did i do! !
no its just as bad. NEVER mix brands/models of subs nor do you mix different sizes nor different enclosures.  Its called phase cancellation and distortion, sound waves are completely different fighting themselves in the car, the result is either extremely weak bass or extremely distorted bass.

no its just as bad. NEVER mix brands/models of subs nor do you mix different sizes nor different enclosures.  Its called phase cancellation and distortion, sound waves are completely different fighting themselves in the car, the result is either extremely weak bass or extremely distorted bass.
Well im currently trying to have ups return to sender but for some reason i tried to initiate a return but it says no returns on flammable or hazardous  materials wtf its a subwoofer!! And it never said ANYWHERE NO RETURNS!!! So im about to have a heart attack overhere im pissed how is amazon not gonna do returns on a purchase!! Ahh what crappy luck of mine right??

Well im currently trying to have ups return to sender but for some reason i tried to initiate a return but it says no returns on flammable or hazardous  materials wtf its a subwoofer!! And it never said ANYWHERE NO RETURNS!!! So im about to have a heart attack overhere im pissed how is amazon not gonna do returns on a purchase!! Ahh what crappy luck of mine right??
returns dont work that way. What you have to do is do the RMA process via amazon's return on your order list and they will print out a return shipping label and then you drop it off and return it. You might have to pay a restocking fee or something.  

Next time, ask us for confirmation before you buy anything to save money since you really sound like you have no clue what you are doing haha.

first off, take pictures of the sub and a video.. When you push in, make sure the cone is going straight in and out and not at any angles and see if there's any noise.  Also get a 20 dollar multi-meter and read the ohm load of each coil of the sub.   If all things check out, you could actually just get by with a 30 dollar refoam kit for your old W6 and it'll be good as new.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.