JL audio W7?

well didnt mean to start a debate, bought the sub yesterday for $105:)
DSCF1149.JPG
Pretty f*ckin sweet!

this is from Jl's website:

The more excursion and motor force a speaker has, the more important cone rigidity becomes. The acceleration forces are extreme, requiring the cone to withstand rapid changes in speed and direction without deformation. Deformation not only leads to distortion, but can also affect the speaker’s mechanical integrity by allowing the voice coil to go out of alignment and rub on the top-plate and the pole-piece of the motor.

A simple poly cone diaphragm, while sufficient for lower power designs, would not remain rigid under the demands that the W7 design requires. Our engineering team knew that high levels of cone rigidity would be needed, but they focused on achieving rigidity without a huge weight penalty. This ultimately led to the design we call the W-Cone™. The W-Cone™ assembly achieves its rigidity through architectural means, rather than through inherently stiff materials. The design addresses the stiffness issue by using two lightweight mineral-filled polypropylene skins, bonded together at the perimeter and the center of the assembly. The lower skin’s cross-section is shaped like a “W”, hence the name, and provides incredible rigidity when bonded to the dished upper skin. The effect is not unlike the trusses of a bridge or the unit-body construction of a modern automobile. In addition to the overall rigidity benefit, the lower skin’s shape distributes the force generated by the coil and motor more evenly than a typical diaphragm. The force is not only applied to the apex but also distributed to the perimeter of the outer diaphragm for more linear behavior. A further benefit of the W-Cone™ is that the upper skin (the one in contact with the listening environment), is isolated from the high air-pressure gradients of the enclosure, further reducing deformation (and distortion).

find me one for cheap and i might do it, otherwise it will stay as it is

i guess the story is that something hit it and cracked the dustcap so he pulled it off

well after carrying it out to my car and back a few times over the last week i decided to weigh it and the little sucker weighs 39 pounds, it weighs more than the AE 15"/box combo

sounds great, but even with 900 watts it just doesnt have enough output in the small sealed box. i am going to try to get a ported box made for it soon and i am sure that will change dramatically

not quite sure why i updated this, just bored i guess

anyone know where i can find a dustcap for this thing?

not a huge deal, but i wanna make it more aesthetically pleasing before i sell it for $100 profit, $50 more with the proper dustcap

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.