Jl audio w7 13.5" vs rockford fosgate t2 12d4 vs re xxx 12"

This pretty much sums up your arguement. But Im sorry, if what you say/imply were true, JL would advertise their sub as having more useable excursion. You can say well at that volume level, who cares if its 5% distortion, or 30%. But Im sorry, that is why we have standardized (or relatively so) stats like xmax, so we can't have manufacturers take the same attitude you have that distortion thressholds dont matter at that volume level. They matter, that's why the W7 does not have 40mm+ of excursion, sorry.
As for your cooling links, great. Unfortunately I never said the W7 doesn't have innovative cooling technologies in it, I said I dont agree with all the cooling advantages you say the W7 has, that 15-20mm of added useable excursion you say the W7 say has for example.

Xmech doesn't affect xmax? So you are saying "is the point at which the sub runs into actual mechanical problems during excursion" has no bearing on where that sub's xmax is? So a sub could have an xmech of 25mm and an xmax of 30mm? I dont think so.

Im fully aware of the differences between a suspension limited driver and motor limit driver. If what you were saying were true, any motor limited sub could simply advertise its suspension travel as its xmax. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nono.gif.eca61d170185779e0921b0faa9704973.gif

Your definition of gracious and mine must be very different. Again, if the W7 can excurt this much, so 'graciously' as you are trying to say, why does JL shoot themselves in the foot and say it has less useable excursion? Perhaps because they understand suspension travel is not the lone determining factor in what is considered useable excursion. And perhaps because they know discriminating customers wont stand for an explanation of at 'those SPL levels distortion becomes increasingly difficult to differentiate from distortion inherent to the environment' when they complain their sub sounds like ass when pushing it hard.

I fully agree the W7 is a great sub, alot of new tech in it. But you come here and say it has a new cooling system, so it cools better. It has a heavier coil, so it handles power better. It has more suspension travel, so it has better excursion, and gets louder etc. Im sorry, but links to tech papers from JL touting their new cooling system is hardly 'proving me wrong' that the W7 cools better, worse or the same as any other specific sub. The links you posted prove the W7 has a new cooling system. Yes it looks nice. No its hardly proof it cools 'better' than another specific driver. Test it for yourself, compare the subs in question, or at least provide a link to someone that has, if you are going to prove anything to me. Otherwise you are just proving you are reading JL's tech papers.
Your ignorance really begins to annoy me. You foolishly and ignorantly assume "usable travel" and xmax to be synonymous, but no one but your foolish self ever made that asinine assumption.
Here are the facts, since you aren't educated enough to understand them. The XMAX of the 12w7 is around 32mm, and around 34mm for the 13w7. The Xsus (this is NOT Xmech, it is Xsus, which is the point where Cms drops to 25% of the at rest value). The XXX and Brahma have an Xsus of around 32mm. The Xsus of the 12w7 is about 45mm, and around 50mm for the 13w7.

Look at a DUMAX or Klippel report if you are actually dumb enough to try and debate that FACT.

As Kmart said, while the Brahma and XXX hit a literal brickwall at about 32mm (shortly after Xsus, the spider actually physically HITS the top plate/bottom of the basket), whereas the W7 won't hit Xmech until around 50mm+.

So in summary, the xmax of the drivers is extremely close, but if you try and push a XXX and Brahma much beyond 30-32mm, you are going to DAMAGE THE DRIVER AND POSSIBLY RIP THE SPIDER CLEAN OFF.

With the W7, it can quite safely and easily move all the way to 45-50mm depending on model, before Xsus actually hits. That's still USABLE excursion. When the spider hits the top plate, that's where usable excursion ends.

Now given that we know 45mm is > than 32mm, we can safely conclude that the W7 has more usable travel.

I'd swear I was teaching this to a ****ing 4th grader. Try understanding what you are talking about instead of attempting to disagree with people who are simply stating facts, which you seem to consistently and miserably fail at comprehending.

So beyond Xmax, the W7 is going to have LOWER distortion than the Brahma or XXX, and unlike the Brahma and XXX, it can very safely be excurted to 45-50mm, depending on model, before the suspension locks down, and even further before the spider ever comes close to hitting the top plate.

With regard to the cooling system, it's simply a FACT that having cooling above top plate and venting in the former are going to promote better circulation, and therfore better cooling. We needn't consult JL's tech paper to figure that one out.

I hope that's clear enough for you, and I hope you finally have realized that you don't have any idea what you are talking about.

Uhm...you're wrong though. There isn't a single thing about the XXX or Brahma that would suggest they'd have a higher thermal powerhandling capability than the W7.
The W7 has more coil (i.e. more wire with which to dissipate heat), a superior cooling system, more suspension travel (when the coil isn't continuing to move as power goes up, that SEVERELY hampers cooling ability).

If you start sending more power to a Brahma or XXX near xmax, you'll fry them pretty quickly, because they cannot more any further to promote better cooling, whereas the W7 has another 15-20mm it can move to further cool the coil. That makes a BIG difference, especially when combined with the other advantages that the W7 already has.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Brahma and XXX are both fantastic woofers and offer a much better value than the W7, but to say that they outperform the W7 is just false...
So why for most sizes are the XXX and Brahma rated higher thermally? Is Adire and RE exaggerating? Or is JL underrating their subs that much more than them in your opinion?

As for cooling past their xmax, I dont see the big advantage there guys. So it CAN travel past its xmax (and start getting ugly), who drives their speakers to this point? For SPL, most times it would be in a ported enclosure where you wont be coming anywhere near the driver's full excursion. In a daily, who will be pumping out tunes beyond where the motor stays linear? The only place I could this really being any advantage would be in a sealed SPL setup, where they are simply trying to pump as much air via excursion as possible. And lets face it, serious SPL competitors wont be running W7's.

As for saying the Brahma or XXX outperform the W7 being false, Im simply asking for more than a data sheet or two from JL touting their accomplishments before I agree the W7 has it over on these other two drivers in virtually every category. Im not stating the Brahma or XXX out do the W7 in any specific category other than to compare manufacturer's specs. Warbleed says JL has always rated their drivers very conservatively, last I checked Adire and RE are considered to do the exact same thing. I am saying these 'huge' advantages you guys keep saying the W7 has (like 15-20mm of useable excursion, which isnt really useable) that you then base your decision that the W7 is obviously superior, aren't really so huge as you make them out to be.

Lastly, the JL chart you have referred us to does not prove a W7 13.5 is rated for 2000 watts, will handle 2000 watts, or will be waranteed up to 2000 watts. Call a JL dealer, tell him you ran 2000 watts to your W7, it fried, and you;d like your free warantee replacement, see what he says. Probably the same thing he'd say at 1500 watts.

Again, leaning towards the W7, you guys took the black area as warantee void, which is at the 2000 watt point for the 13.5. But you failed to notice in the red area it also states 'burned coils are not covered under warantee'. So basically you've read that chart to the fullest advantage a W7 could have, then applied that to compare to the XXX/Brahma as if that's a normal setup for a W7. Its not, and JL will laugh you to the curb if you try to get warantee work on a burned coil, even well below the 2000 watts, as that chart made very clear.

So why for most sizes are the XXX and Brahma rated higher thermally? Is Adire and RE exaggerating? Or is JL underrating their subs that much more than them in your opinion?
As for cooling past their xmax, I dont see the big advantage there guys. So it CAN travel past its xmax (and start getting ugly), who drives their speakers to this point? For SPL, most times it would be in a ported enclosure where you wont be coming anywhere near the driver's full excursion. In a daily, who will be pumping out tunes beyond where the motor stays linear? The only place I could this really being any advantage would be in a sealed SPL setup, where they are simply trying to pump as much air via excursion as possible. And lets face it, serious SPL competitors wont be running W7's.

As for saying the Brahma or XXX outperform the W7 being false, Im simply asking for more than a data sheet or two from JL touting their accomplishments before I agree the W7 has it over on these other two drivers in virtually every category. Im not stating the Brahma or XXX out do the W7 in any specific category other than to compare manufacturer's specs. Warbleed says JL has always rated their drivers very conservatively, last I checked Adire and RE are considered to do the exact same thing. I am saying these 'huge' advantages you guys keep saying the W7 has (like 15-20mm of useable excursion, which isnt really useable) that you then base your decision that the W7 is obviously superior, aren't really so huge as you make them out to be.
How is 15-20mm more linear suspension travel NOT usable? It's not linear xmax no, but easily usable.

How is 15-20mm more linear suspension travel NOT usable? It's not linear xmax no, but easily usable.
I thought I explained that before. Under what circumstances will someone push the sub beyond where the motor stays linear? How many people do you think are out there pushing there W7 to 50, or even 40mm of excursion? If this extra excursion is so useable, why does JL not apply that to their xmax figures? Just because the suspension has 45-50mm of useable travel does not mean the subwoofer has 45-50mm of useable travel. On paper its an advantage, in the real world where nobody pushes a W7 to 45-50mm of excursion it means little or nothing.

See post #43 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
http://www.caraudio.com/vb/showpost.php?p=660157&postcount=43
Yes but this point was never addressed I dont think. Good point btw. lol //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I thought I explained that before. Under what circumstances will someone push the sub beyond where the motor stays linear? How many people do you think are out there pushing there W7 to 50, or even 40mm of excursion? If this extra excursion is so useable, why does JL not apply that to their xmax figures? Just because the suspension has 45-50mm of useable travel does not mean the subwoofer has 45-50mm of useable travel. On paper its an advantage, in the real world where nobody pushes a W7 to 45-50mm of excursion it means little or nothing.

Yes but this point was never addressed I dont think. Good point btw. lol //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
JL just uses overhang for their xmax specs, even though Xmax (as defined by 70% of at rest BL) is slightly more.

They don't call it xmax, because it's not. Not a very logical question...

There are plenty of people who routinely operate their speakers well beyond their linear limits. Did you really think that sorry ass claim would fly? You've got to be joking...

JL just uses overhang for their xmax specs, even though Xmax (as defined by 70% of at rest BL) is slightly more.
They don't call it xmax, because it's not. Not a very logical question...

There are plenty of people who routinely operate their speakers well beyond their linear limits. Did you really think that sorry ass claim would fly? You've got to be joking...
Define 'slightly more' please. Is 15-20mm slightly more?

The sub has an "xmax", whether JL uses the term or not.

Plenty of people who run W7's to 45-50mm? Right. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

too much stuff flying and I dont want to get in the middle, just like to poke in and add some comic relif every once in a while //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/popcorn.gif.32dd9e22fd77e77bc3c907062768fcd2.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.