jl audio 12w6v2 subs opinion

saltyreefguy
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
For those that had/have some of these subs, i know the specs say 400watts nominal ratings, but in the car audio mag. they vance/? did a review on this sub. on his setup he used a zapco c6k amp pushing 2000watts into the sub really didn't mention if he used one or two. anyways i have 3 of these babies, and of course using only ppi art amps(one of the best). using 2 subs, i was going to run an a1200.2 (1200watts/4 ohm/briged mono) for the 2 subs or use 2 a600.2 on each one. so i was wondering for those who had/have these subs, how much wattts were you able to feed into this sub.? and sound quality?

I have 1 single jl 12w6v2 running of of a jl 500/1 in a sealed 1.21 cu ft. box and it is more than enough spl with elite sq. i say if u wanna push it that much then run 3 of them but 500 watts pers w6 is enough. any more and it will over excurt and it wont sound good at higher wattages. Just port it if u want more spl

I have 1 single jl 12w6v2 running of of a jl 500/1 in a sealed 1.21 cu ft. box and it is more than enough spl with elite sq. i say if u wanna push it that much then run 3 of them but 500 watts pers w6 is enough. any more and it will over excurt and it wont sound good at higher wattages. Just port it if u want more spl
i was inquirying due to the fact that when they did the review on this sub, they feed it 2000wts, sure i agree with, why go beyond manuf. required specs...

when i worked at good guys i allwasy ran a jl 1000/1 on it. took it fine, wasnt to much louder with xtra 500 watss to it(due to shitty enclosure) but it took it fine

exactly, its quality not quantity, its the type of clean watts that is put into the speaker, but there are a few great amps that have both, and there lots of amps that are really crappy amps(imho), 1500w amp for lets say for couple bills, and probably a good portion of those watts are static, that is not what i consider a good amp, this one guy told me who was into great car audio hi-fi stereo, that a good quality amp it will cost 1 dollar per watt.

my friend has 2 12' W6s and he poweres his with a jl 1000 and his have don distortion and are just fine. Also I would say that the jl1000 is underrated so you would prob be getting somewhere around 1200w anyways

I had a set (3) of the first W6s that JL made.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif I had them wired series/parallel for a 4ohm load. Running a Rockford Punch 200ix to them and they sounded off the hook. I know this isn't relevant to this thread but I just thought I'd share this with you guys since you seem to be fans of JL.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.