JL 500/1 install help? ? melted fuse holder!

NuckinFutz
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Hey I'm new here! I've read the forum for.like a year now but never joined!

Anyways, I have a JL 500/1 running on a 20 dollar supposedly 6 gauge wiring kit.

at high volumes the amps power will actually shut off until I turn the radio back down a notch .

When I looked under the hood my fuse holder right before the fuse was actually melted along with the wire

Could this crappy wiring kit be causing it to do that?

Friend has that amp, I tested it on my 25amp power supply. Amp did the same thing, cut out then come back one. My friend was having the same problem in his truck. My only guess is that these amps are power hungry and need to he properly wired. If your fuse melted I'm guessing it was cheap and you shouldn't use cheap fuses, for safety reasons obviously.

I ordered a 4 gauge stinger kit last night. Should this make it work properly? I drive a 96 firebird v6 with no electrical upgrades or anything. With a Sony Xplod deck if that matters.

Did you ever go over 50? And it kinda sounds like your amp pulled too much for the wire and melted the fuse block. The fuse should have blown but with it being cheap it didn't try the new wire and get back to us if your having other issues. But also you should set your gains with a dmm to prevent clipping

I honestly have no idea what a dmm is.I should have the wire and have it installed by Friday. Ill let y'all know how it goes.
It's a digital multimeter you can get them for around 20 bucks at walmart. Just do a Google search how to set gains using a dmm.

What sub (subs) are you using? Check your voltage at the amp. Check your ground. Make sure your not wired for lower then 2 ohms. There is a walk through on JL's website on how to set your gain using a DMM. I found that with this amp its better to set the gain to JL's spec and then back it off just a little.

I am running this same amp right now and I had the same issues when I first got it. I cant say exactly what was causing the issue because I changed several things at once. I bought true 4 gauge wire for power and ground, used a dmm to set my gains, and I made sure my power and ground connections were good. After getting it to work properly its been one of the best amps I have ever owned.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.