Jeep won’t start when amp is hooked up

What is better than seat or seatbelt bolts? Seems to me those are always set into places with the most steel.
Seriously? Of all the things you have said in the past, I think this is the worst thing you have said. It's never a good idea to ground to seat bolt as carpet usually in the way. Metal to metal is so much better.

Seriously? Of all the things you have said in the past, I think this is the worst thing you have said. It's never a good idea to ground to seat bolt as carpet usually in the way. Metal to metal is so much better.
I've never seen a seat or seat belt bolted into carpet, every one I've seen is bolted into a heavily reinforced piece of steel. Suit yourself though, if you can't figure out how to cut carpet, go under it, or find a spot without any ground wherever you like but you'll be hard pressed to find a more solid spot than where the seats and seat belts bolt in short of running back up under the hood.

Pic related from my brothers F250. Notice the seat bolts and seat belt bolts don't connect to carpet. There's also a couple other holes in the carpet where the jack secured down that would do for a ground once paint is sanded clean.

oE9utFQ.jpg

Oh I can find ways...I wasn't born yesterday. However, my seats are on carpet, bolted to the chassis. A lot of vehicles are like this. Also a lot of newbies do this too.

My suggestion still stands and cannot be argued with: ground to a sanded solid chassis is so much better than a seat belt bolt.

Oh I can find ways...I wasn't born yesterday. However, my seats are on carpet, bolted to the chassis. A lot of vehicles are like this. Also a lot of newbies do this too.
My suggestion still stands and cannot be argued with: ground to a sanded solid chassis is so much better than a seat belt bolt.
Seat belt bolts are solid in the chasis. Even in a sedan or hatchback the bolts for each in the back seats are never under carpet and are already solid and threaded. I don't know how you'd do better elsewhere.

Seat belt bolts are solid in the chasis. Even in a sedan or hatchback the bolts for each in the back seats are never under carpet and are already solid and threaded. I don't know how you'd do better elsewhere.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif Actual chassis frame bud. The ground in my s10 is in the ext cab area, under carpet. Gotta be careful tho as it's close to the fuel tank.

[/b]
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif Actual chassis frame bud. The ground in my s10 is in the ext cab area, under carpet. Gotta be careful tho as it's close to the fuel tank.
OK, so run the ground out, drill a hole through the frame then use nut and bolt or do you tap some threads into it and bolt into that? Got any pictures of this?

I guess it can go both ways... I have used seat/seatbelt bolts after sanding to bare metal and I have made a solid ground where none exists using a drill, sandpaper and stainless hardware...

ORgaMrJ.jpg

ay9gMib.jpg

as long as it's solid and chassis metal to wire terminal... it's a good ground... I have done frame grounds as well... but only under the hood as of yet... lol

OK, so run the ground out, drill a hole through the frame then use nut and bolt or do you tap some threads into it and bolt into that? Got any pictures of this?
Yep, here ya go...

DijMr5c.jpg

7cyAQ60.jpg
This is what the original ground was when I removed everything. Pretty pathetic huh?! scraped a few times from a flathead screwdriver then throw on a spiked washer/screw call it good.

Yep, here ya go...
DijMr5c.jpg

7cyAQ60.jpg
This is what the original ground was when I removed everything. Pretty pathetic huh?! scraped a few times from a flathead screwdriver then throw on a spiked washer/screw call it good.
Yes ... then there's always the shade tree special... self tappers...

ggrXBBa.jpg

Yep, here ya go...
DijMr5c.jpg

7cyAQ60.jpg
That's into the frame? How is the steel there thicker than where seat belts and seat bolts attach?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.