JBL Stadium subs with switchable impedance.....could someone explain how these work?

Participant count
  • Participant list

98 SNAKE EATER
10+ year member

After a bit of debating what sub(s) to add to my Sienna's factory JBL system (see old thread link), I decided to go with a single 12 mounted in a custom glass stealthbox that fits in a rear pocket meant for the 8th seat storage

(work in progress)

JBLStadium-Sub-1.jpg

20200201-001534.jpg

glassstealthboxbuild-3.jpg

IMG-50771-1.jpg

6128230861-1.jpg

The sub I chose is a JBL Stadium 1224 that has a switchable impedance from 2 to 4ohms

Can anyone explain how exactly they're able to do this?

JBLStadium-Sub-7.jpg

JBLStadium-Sub-14.jpg

Dual voice coils with a switch. Nothing new and ground breaking, manufacturers have used various methods to achieve a switchable impedance for at least the past decade.

Ok, could you tell me how they're able to achieve either a 2 or 4ohm load?

I've seen other switchable impedance subs that switch from either 2 to 8ohm, which would be simple on a 4ohm DVC sub that uses a switch to go from series to parallel, but this sub has me stumped.

At first I thought perhaps the switch would just cut one of the two coils.

Like if it was a 2ohm DVC wired in series to get 4ohms and the switch would just disable one coil to make it a 2ohm load....

Or if it was a 4ohm DVC wired in parallel to get 2ohms and the switch would just disable one coil to make it a 4ohm load....

But of course, if this was the case, it would cut power handling in half and it wouldn't be nearly as efficient.

Next thought was perhaps a resistor built into the switch, but I can only imagine what kinda heat issues that would cause.

I actually contacted JBL/Harmon directly and none of their reps could give me a straight answer as to how it's done.

Last edited:
It's either 2 or 4 bro, that how dvc's work.

It's either 2 or 4 bro, that how dvc's work.

Umm, no

If you have a 4ohm DVC, you get either 2ohm wired in parallel or 8ohm wired in series (like this)

WireDiagram-1-D4.jpg

If you have a 2ohm DVC, you get either 1ohm wired in parallel or 4ohm wired in series (like this)

WireDiagram-1-D2.jpg

This DVC sub somehow switches from 2ohm to 4ohm

How?

I dunno

Last edited:
It's a resistive switch.

Not doubting you as I'm still rather clueless about this, but the switch on mine doesn't appear to have a resistor bank, just looks like an ordinary switch board with some really dinky lookin wires :unsure:

JBLStadium-Sub-19.jpg

That being said, I just found this old Sonic video introducing an Infinity Kappa sub with SSI (I believe they share the same switching setup), but they claim to have a triple voice coil in order to switch from 2 to 4ohms 🧐

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.