JBL MS-8 sounds HORRIBLE

npcout
10+ year member

PA
Professionally installed by a very reputable dealer who has done all my systems, pretty much the most popular place in my area.

Car: 2015 Honda Fit

OEM headunit with JBL MS-8

Subwoofer Amp: JBL MS-A5001 500W 1-Channel Amp w/ Digital Input Mixer

Subwoofer: TC Epic 10 tuned to 30, sounded amazing in last car

Speaker Amp: JBL MS-A1004 400W 4-Channel Amp w/ Digital Input Mixer

Speakers: This combo NVX Speaker Combo: 6.5" Coxial & Component Speakers

PROBLEM: Car audio place being a JL Authorized dealer was very interested in the ms-8, never installed one before, typically uses the JL Cleansweep as they sell it.

They wont even give me the car back, in a good way though. They said it sounds horrible. They have followed directions to the T, troubleshooting it. The system they said just sounds horrible. The stock system alone blew the upgraded system out of the water.

They said they have contacted JBL Tech support with no return call yet. Any advice? Suggestions? Is there a common problem with this that is a simple fix? Does it sound like a bad unit? Bad speakers? I know these arn't top of the line speakers, but im sure they are decent.. i use to have alpines which sounded amazing to me, and these are rated better than alpine.

"Sounds horrible" is horribly vague. However, if they won't get offended by you bringing in advice from a forum:

1) Check to ensure all speaker wires coming in are set to the correct polarity.

2) Ensure all speakers on the output side are wired to the correct polarity. Do not switch one midrange woofer out of polarity with the other, or any other polarity tricks to try to make it sound better. MS-8 must have uniform polarity throughout the system.

3) I get the best results during calibration with all amplifier gains set at minimum.

4) MS-8 volume should be set at -30, or possibly lower, during calibration. The sweeps from the speakers should be clearly audible but not loud. The bass sweeps should be barely heard, and definitely not felt.

idk man sounds like they are setting you up to buy an JL cleansweep. Reputable or not, ppl gotta make dough, I know plenty of "reputable" shops that pull that shit.

Anyways, follow trumpets instructions and PM him any problems or issues you are having. Describe exactly whats going on and what is "bad" about the sound so we have an idea of what we are dealing with. With the MS-8, a lot of people have a rough start with the tuning and I'd recommend you learn how to tune it yourself because The owners of ms-8s i've known, say that even after 6 months they still fiddle with the tuning, they get even better sound out of it. A shop that has no experience with tuning it is the same as you trying to tune it yourself, they are just as clueless as you, except they are getting paid to figure it out. Why not cut out the middle man?

Professionally installed by a very reputable dealer who has done all my systems, pretty much the most popular place in my area.
Car: 2015 Honda Fit

OEM headunit with JBL MS-8

Subwoofer Amp: JBL MS-A5001 500W 1-Channel Amp w/ Digital Input Mixer

Subwoofer: TC Epic 10 tuned to 30, sounded amazing in last car

Speaker Amp: JBL MS-A1004 400W 4-Channel Amp w/ Digital Input Mixer

Speakers: This combo NVX Speaker Combo: 6.5" Coxial & Component Speakers

PROBLEM: Car audio place being a JL Authorized dealer was very interested in the ms-8, never installed one before, typically uses the JL Cleansweep as they sell it.

They wont even give me the car back, in a good way though. They said it sounds horrible. They have followed directions to the T, troubleshooting it. The system they said just sounds horrible. The stock system alone blew the upgraded system out of the water.

They said they have contacted JBL Tech support with no return call yet. Any advice? Suggestions? Is there a common problem with this that is a simple fix? Does it sound like a bad unit? Bad speakers? I know these arn't top of the line speakers, but im sure they are decent.. i use to have alpines which sounded amazing to me, and these are rated better than alpine.

A lot of new vehicles have their own (non-adjustable) eq built into the headunit. This means that just tapping into the speaker wires to get signal isn't going to work no matter what interface they use. Until they RTA the signal from each speaker they'll never get a JL, JBL, RF, Audison to sound any better than the other.

A lot of new vehicles have their own (non-adjustable) eq built into the headunit. This means that just tapping into the speaker wires to get signal isn't going to work no matter what interface they use. Until they RTA the signal from each speaker they'll never get a JL, JBL, RF, Audison to sound any better than the other.
Processors override it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.