I've got an idea.......

Participant count
  • Participant list

Robster13
10+ year member

Chicago
My goal for the rest of this year is to be able to build a quality sub box.

My 1st box is going into a friend's jeep. I've got the plans, and am going to build it likely within the next couple weeks.

What I'd like to do after that is build a box for someone here on this forum. This will be a FREE box. I'm hoping to find someone close to or in Chicago so there's no shipping, but I would be open to splitting the shipping.

Here's what I'm looking for:

Someone who has a good amount of experience with cusotm boxes, and has a spare sub for me to build it around. This person must have a very good/excellent rep on the forum.

I'd like to build a large ported box for the right sub, or subs.

I am looking for honest constructive critisism. I'd like to build a raport either thru emails or here on the forum so I know it's someone I can work with, and trust to be honest.

Please let me know what you think of this idea, and if you'd be interested in helping me out.

You can either pm me or post here.

I am posting this on one other forum as well, but I'll only be giving away one box.

Thanks!

PS, I am very serious about this. I would like to start selling boxes, at least locally.

Here, I'll quiz ya...

I obviously know perfectly well how to design a proper ported box. But here's your quiz.

Ported box for one 15, I need 4.5cubes NET Volume, tuning of 32hz, minimum of 60 sq. in. of port. I have these maximum dimensions to work with W: 42" H: 24" D: 18"

Get back to me either here, or via PM for me to check your design. I'll need all the specs that you come up with (Final NET Volume, Gross Volume, Final Tuning, Port area and Length, and Final Exterior Dimensions). Also what program you used.

Should be a good learning experience to make sure you know what you're doing... and to get more practice //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif.

nG

Here, I'll quiz ya...
I obviously know perfectly well how to design a proper ported box. But here's your quiz.

Ported box for one 15, I need 4.5cubes NET Volume, tuning of 32hz, minimum of 60 sq. in. of port. I have these maximum dimensions to work with W: 42" H: 24" D: 18"

Get back to me either here, or via PM for me to check your design. I'll need all the specs that you come up with (Final NET Volume, Gross Volume, Final Tuning, Port area and Length, and Final Exterior Dimensions). Also what program you used.

Should be a good learning experience to make sure you know what you're doing... and to get more practice //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif.

nG

Cool, I'm looking to make a project out of this!

I recieved the 12 Volt resource last week, so there's a couple box-building programs I'm trying to play around with.

Any suggestions as to which one would be easiest for a "noob" to get good results with?

Honestly man...the best way to design a ported box is with a good trusty calculator and pencil and paper. From my experience that is what I like best when I design. Also If you are geting into the building and designing business I would suggest you invest in a good 3D modeling progam like Sketch-up, Autocad, Rhino, or other simlar ones. Alot of the people around here enjoy 3D images and cut sheets when They order a design.

Edit...and Noah, Wouldnt it be better to let the man design a box that is 42 W, 18 H, 24 D. Im guessing the diminsions you listed are the ones you can use in your truck being that you have a 15. But start of easy and let him design a simple hatch box with sub firing forward and port firing forward. Meh I dont know, Just seems like the port would come out easier, but I know you are difficult. Just a though though

Honestly man...the best way to design a ported box is with a good trusty calculator and pencil and paper. From my experience that is what I like best when I design. Also If you are geting into the building and designing business I would suggest you invest in a good 3D modeling progam like Sketch-up, Autocad, Rhino, or other simlar ones. Alot of the people around here enjoy 3D images and cut sheets when They order a design.

Edit...and Noah, Wouldnt it be better to let the man design a box that is 42 W, 18 H, 24 D. Im guessing the diminsions you listed are the ones you can use in your truck being that you have a 15. But start of easy and let him design a simple hatch box with sub firing forward and port firing forward. Meh I dont know, Just seems like the port would come out easier, but I know you are difficult. Just a though though
LOL, he does seem like he wants to make it harder for me.... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif

Chevy, I do want to know how to use the programs, but you may be right, I should possibly start with easier directions for my 1st ported box.

Doesn't really matter. That's why I gave him **** TON of volume to work with... over 10cubes gross for a 4.5cube NET box. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

nG

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Robster13

10+ year member
Robster13
Chicago
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from