It Has Begun... donpisto's '06 G35 Sedan Install

donpisto
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
Well, the day has come sooner than expected. This build log will take quite some time since there is so much to do, and a tight budget (I can thank the local government for that //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif). I don't know if my plans will remain the same since I constantly change my mind, but here is a rundown of what I intend to do.

First, the equipment.

Amps: Zapco 9.0 for the sub and Zapco 4.0 for the mids and tweeters

IMG_2773.jpg

Mids and tweeters: Zapco CK-16.2 (I won't be using the crossovers sine I will be going active).

Sub: One 15" oldschool JL 15w6

IMG_2907.jpg

IMG_1626.jpg

Deadener: Various Second Skin products

Head Unit: Stock.

OEM Integration and processing: Alpine PXE-H650

Battery under hood: Odyssey PC 1200

Wires: Kicker power, ground, and speaker. Symbilink cables made by Megalomaniac. Any RCA's that may be needed I will make myself using Canare coaxial cable and Tara Labs solderless RCA ends.

The idea:

I decided to stick with OEM integration because going with the aftermarket route is too expensive. The double din kit is roughly $250, head unit is about $400 - $800 (Alpine W200 or W505), blue tooth for compatibility is approx $200, steering wheel control is about $75, and there may be some other additional costs. Using the H650, I will only need to spend $310 for it and get a LOC. I will also be able to keep the steering wheel controls and OEM bluetooth.

The sub will be in roughly 1.25 - 2 cu. ft. sealed and wired in series at 12 ohms (no that's not a typo).

Tweeters will go in the A pillars while the mids will be on axis and I will get kick pods. I'm not putting mids in the stock location because even if I get baffles for them, I will more than likely have fitment issues and I am not going to my doors as I did with the Accord.

Sub: I chose the oldschool 15w6 because I have heard a pair of 10w6's back in high school and they have great output for such little power. I want to go with a 15" sub because I haven't seen any G35's with a 15". I would have gone with an 18w6, but it would require a slightly larger enclosure and room capacity is important. I am building this so that the sub is all the way in the back and the amps, I'm not sure where they will be mounted, but I should still have 3/4 of the trunk still available to use. I also got this at a fair deal and considering it's brand new (yes, it has not been used for nearly 11 years), it makes it a bit more special.

I have recently deadened the trunk with a layer of Damplifier Pro and I may add an additional layer. Rear doors will get a layer of Damplifier Pro. The front doors will get two layers of Damplifier Pro and Rattle Pad. Sludge will go on the wheel wells and on the fenders. I might get Motor Mat for the hood along with Firewall Sludge. I may do more, I just have to see what issues arise.

The Goal: To be able to conserve space, have a musical soundstage that blends well, no SPL or loud daily setup. Also the ability to get fairly loud (mid 30's on music around the low 30 Hz area would be nice, but I'm not sure if I would be able to achieve it. If not, oh well. And as mentioned, to get low //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif.

And now, the vehicle. As mentioned, it is a 2006 Infiniti G35 sedan. It has all the bells and whistles minus the sport package, which I don't mind at all. I will be installing Tein Basics coilovers in about a week. Currently I have 20" MOZ Tower 5 rims, but I am selling them and going with stock 17's, but I will go back to 19's, maybe 20's. The Infiniti letter in the back has been debadged and the Mt. Fuji emblem along with the G35 emblem will be a black chrome.

I also plan to get overlays for the tail lights and the roof. I will get the head lights blacked out and also get clear corners and smoke them. I have a couple mods to the car currently, nothing major, just a 5/16" Motordyne Intake Manifold Spacer, Z tube, Pop Charger, Coupe Midpipe, and HKS rear section muffler. I might go with a turbo kit in the future, but that won't be years down the line.

Enough talk, time for pics of the vehicle.

With stock rims:

10606081922.jpg

IMG_2110.jpg

IMG_2113.jpg

IMG_2114.jpg

IMG_2117.jpg

One layer of Second Skin Damplifier Pro on the trunk lid:

Before:

IMG_2879.jpg

After:

IMG_2891.jpg

I was able to do the inner portion of the trunk lid and I'm sure it will help reduce vibration by alot. It made it easier to take out the tail lights and the trunk latch.

IMG_2885.jpg

I also did the license plate. I'll be adding Rattle Pad once I find where I have my leftover pieces.

IMG_2889.jpg

It definitely passed the knocking test //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif. Here is a before video without deadener:

and here is the after video with one layer of deadener http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hig9ZouG2IY. I will probably add another layer of Damplifier Pro and I'll see if I have to do more than that once the setup is complete.

**** Levon, I didnt know you were balling like that...Nice car! 12 ohm huh? How many watts is that? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Nice ass car
His name is not car. It's Levon.

You took long enough to start. Does Carlos' kickpods fit?? If not I know someone that lives pretty close you that does good fiberglass work.

**** Levon, I didnt know you were balling like that...Nice car! 12 ohm huh? How many watts is that? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
Thanks, but it's a bit tough right now because of my job. City budget cuts = no full time transition for me. My payments aren't that much, but gas is expensive and I do drive a lot, along with insurance being a little high. Hopefully I can find a temp or another part job and get promoted to a full time employee soon.

As for the 9.0, it does 2,200w @ 4 ohms (and quite underrated at that). I've seen a video of where it does 1,300w on a single channel (when it's rated at 600w for a single channel). I'll probably see somewhere along 450 - 650w out of it I'm assuming, but the sub needs only about 400w. Heard a 12w6ae recently off 250w and output was nice.

His name is not car. It's Levon.

You took long enough to start. Does Carlos' kickpods fit?? If not I know someone that lives pretty close you that does good fiberglass work.
Lol, you always find a way to make me laugh.

I haven't tried Carlos' kickpods yet, our schedules didn't work out, but I am meaning too soon. Who is it that you know does fiberglass work? Is it circa 40?

nice car man never seen the interior on one of them i like the wheel choice too drop it a lil get all that fancy pants equipment in sure to be a nice install cant wait to see it.

side note all that deader on ur honda gone to waste i remember your hood deadening from myspace

I'll shoot you a pm.
Thanks!

nice car man never seen the interior on one of them i like the wheel choice too drop it a lil get all that fancy pants equipment in sure to be a nice install cant wait to see it.
side note all that deader on ur honda gone to waste i remember your hood deadening from myspace
Here's a couple more interior shots. Rear seats recline, so comfortable, lol.

IMG_2119.jpg

IMG_2120.jpg

I'm actually selling the rims, I can't deal with the low profile tires they have and new tires are going to run me a grand and I'd rather just use stock wheels instead. I will have the car lowered in about a week or 2 as well.

And yeah, a lot of deadener went to waste, but this time I'll be sure it won't go to any waste.

Looking good man, can't wait to see the build come together.

Haha, in the second part of the knock test vid you threw your keys in the trunk then closed it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.